Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Powerful router for a community hall?

This is a discussion on Powerful router for a community hall? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I look after the IT for my local community hall and our current router (British Telecom in the

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there, I look after the IT for my local community hall and our current router (British Telecom in the UK) has been acting kinda strange for a couple of weeks so I am going to purchase a new (third party) router so I need something with plenty of oomph as we have lots of folk connecting via smartphones, ipads, tablets,laptops and the area is quite large. We do have a linksys powerline adapter in one room which seem to work well.

..any recommendations or is it a case of 'you get what you pay for' sort of thing?

ta much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

How many people (devices) would you say are connecting to your BT device? Is it one of those BT Smart Hubs? From the sounds of it, I think you need another Access Point Just for Wi-fi rather than a router.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

I would think at busy times up to as many as 100 would be connected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Even enterprise devices aren't geared to have that many devices connected. It is hardly surprising your are experiencing glitches with the operation. You definitely need another (or a few other) Access points. I am assuming you have a sufficiently large internet connection.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

yeh, the powerline adaptor seems to work well in the meeting room where we weren't getting a very strong signal and we are using a dual band WiFi, I guess we just need a powerful router so any recommendations or are they much of a muchness? We did have a Fritzbox for a while which seemed good but it got zapped by lightening!!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I can't really make any recommendations as I'm not really 'up' on what's available, but I'm sure the other members have good ideas.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
Moderator - Networking

Hi mate.

Any 802.11ac router (with a 2x2 radio set) should have enough juice for 100 people (wired or wireless).
Old 11-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

I have yet to use a piece of consumer gear that would handle that sort of load without complaint. My recommendation would be the Cisco Aironet line for reliable wireless. The newer ones are expensive compared to any consumer gear, but stability under heavy load is excellent in my experience. If you can get away with 802.11g speeds, the 1200 series can be purchased surplus on the cheap ($20-$30 per access point). You could set up several in mesh, which would allow for spreading the connection load amongst several access points.

Closed Thread