Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

One system interfering with Wifi of other systems

This is a discussion on One system interfering with Wifi of other systems within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A friend is visiting and decided to place his system in the room right next to my router (about 25

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Down

A friend is visiting and decided to place his system in the room right next to my router (about 25 feet away). Now, I struggle for any of my desktops, phone, or tablet to connect to the Internet via Wifi (while his Internet runs at full speed on Wifi for him) even though my systems/devices are not directly between his and the router. From what I can tell, he is not running/downloading anything intensive. This does not seem like a coincide because I can move my phone or tablet next to the router and the connection speed is maximized.

Using AT&T U-Verse DSL Motorola router.

What is going on here? Short of making him move the system, is there anything that I can do to my router or cheap equipment that I can buy to boost the strength or to correct this temporary issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Lend him an ethernet cable or at least for your main unit, plug one into the router. You can also try relocating the router.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Forgive my absent mindedness or idiocy... whichever comes first...

In looking for the picture...
Click image for larger version

Name:	NVG510_RIGHT.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	319210
... some sites call it a router while others call it a wireless gateway modem. Heck if I know what each part of that means. Anyway, it cannot be moved due to lines run through the wall when the dedicated line was set up.

As I type this, however, there are suddenly no speed problems with the network even though no variables to my knowledge have changed. I have had the system slow like this before for a day or three taking all of the other usual steps like un/re-plugging in the device, but to have it happen within minutes of my friend's system being placed where it was made it seem like the obvious culprit. Instead, it could have all been pure coincidence.

I will know for certain in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

We'll be patient on this end.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread