Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

On ISP-provided modems

This is a discussion on On ISP-provided modems within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is it recommended to replace the modem that came with the subscription? I'm asking especially since I seem to have

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is it recommended to replace the modem that came with the subscription?

I'm asking especially since I seem to have limited access to manage the modem. I cannot even change the default SSID or the modem's password.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

What is the make and model of your modem/router combo unit? Who is your internet service provider?

Quote:
Is it recommended to replace the modem that came with the subscription?
No. It may be a violation of terms of service, plus your provider may not support self-sourced equipment. Contact your ISP and make inquiries.

Quote:
I'm asking especially since I seem to have limited access to manage the modem. I cannot even change the default SSID or the modem's password.
It's possible you may be logging in using a non-admin user account that has limited access to certain configurable options.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Comcast allows you to use your own modem. Saves $10 a month :-) Paid for itself in 7 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
What is the make and model of your modem/router combo unit?
Thanks for the quick reply Stancestans. I'm using a Baudtec modem (model #RN243R4-2T2R).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
No. It may be a violation of terms of service, plus your provider may not support self-sourced equipment. Contact your ISP and make inquiries.

It's possible you may be logging in using a non-admin user account that has limited access to certain configurable options.
I checked and they did say they're not supporting self-sourced modems. If that's the case, is there a way I can add security to my computer? Something to prevent someone outside (like a tech) just randomly connecting to my computer? (I'm assuming this is possible based on other users' experiences, i.e. tech support being able to logon to their modems and change the settings and such.)

I also noticed the modem revert to its default settings after it's turned off. I did not experience this when I was using the previous ISP's modem (Cisco brand). Is this normal?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Just as an FYI:

Modems usually don't have a login/password.

Modems don't provide wifi, thus there is no SSID to change.

ALL modems settings are set by the ISP to function on their network. There is nothing that a user needs to touch.

Having said all of that, what you are likely referring to is a modem/router combo unit. The modem connects you to the ISP. The router portion provides routing from the modem to your LAN. There is also an internal switch for you to connect devices and wifi. The router side is where you would customize how the device handles your network traffic, including the setting of the SSID.

If you have limited access, the device likely isn't saving your changes (whatever you are changing), thus why they are lost when the device loses power.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
If you have limited access, the device likely isn't saving your changes (whatever you are changing), thus why they are lost when the device loses power.
Thank you for explaining JimE. Is there a way to fix that?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Expanding on what JimE was explaining about modem/router combos, I haven't heard of an ISP who doesn't allow a customer to access their router. The ISP usually gives a customer the log in info at the install and you should be able to change the settings as you like, unless it's a really stripped down router. Call your ISP and get the log in info or see what they have to say.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
Expanding on what JimE was explaining about modem/router combos, I haven't heard of an ISP who doesn't allow a customer to access their router. The ISP usually gives a customer the log in info at the install and you should be able to change the settings as you like, unless it's a really stripped down router. Call your ISP and get the log in info or see what they have to say.
Depends on if you have residential or business service. But yes, for residential service, you should have pretty much unrestricted access.

If you access is restricted to some settings, they would not appear or be greyed out, thus you wouldn't be able to change them. If you are able to make changes, they need to be applied/saved before they take affect. If the device isn't retaining those settings after a power outage, the device is faulty.

Closed Thread