Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Not connecting to our home wifi

This is a discussion on Not connecting to our home wifi within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I can't get my son's hp laptop to connect to our wi-fi. We have a 2.5 and a 5G network

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JimE
  • 2 Post By JimE
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

I can't get my son's hp laptop to connect to our wi-fi. We have a 2.5 and a 5G network on our modem/router but his laptop can't seem to find the 5G and the 2.5 is too slow/weak. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Does the laptop have a dual-band wireless card?
Press the Windows key + R then in the run box type devmgmt.msc open Network Adapters, what is the model of wireless card.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver View Post
Does the laptop have a dual-band wireless card?
Press the Windows key + R then in the run box type devmgmt.msc open Network Adapters, what is the model of wireless card.
I don't know. I have this info:
broadcom bcm 43142...Adapter
Microsoft wi-fi direct virtual adapter...
realtek pcie fe family controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

With the given info it looks like the Broadcom BCM 43142 only does 2.4 Ghz. The only way to get 5 Ghz would be to replace the wireless card in the laptop.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver View Post
With the given info it looks like the Broadcom BCM 43142 only does 2.4 Ghz. The only way to get 5 Ghz would be to replace the wireless card in the laptop.
How can you tell? What are those other things I listed?

There didn't used to be a problem, and there shouldn't be any new interference. What may have caused the signal on the 2.4 to become weak for the laptop?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The (wifi) card could simply be failing. Just a matter of age and failing components.

Test from the same room. If it won't connect from within the same room as the router (where the signal would be strongest), and as other devices seem to be connecting and functioning normally, then I'd suspect a faulty wifi adapter in the laptop as well.

You can try manually reinstalling the wifi adapter drivers, but if the indications are a "weak signal", that indicates a hardware issue, not a driver issue.
usingpc likes this.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
The (wifi) card could simply be failing. Just a matter of age and failing components.

Test from the same room. If it won't connect from within the same room as the router (where the signal would be strongest), and as other devices seem to be connecting and functioning normally, then I'd suspect a faulty wifi adapter in the laptop as well.

You can try manually reinstalling the wifi adapter drivers, but if the indications are a "weak signal", that indicates a hardware issue, not a driver issue.
Any way to test wifi card?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Not really. If it happens to be a card or external model, you could move it to another PC, then that would be about the best test. If it exhibits the same symptoms on another PC, it's the hardware. If it's works normally, then I it would indicate a problem with the original PC. As this is a laptop, it likely can't be removed. And even if you could, you would need another laptop which uses the same type card.

Having said that, drivers and config issues typically cause the device to not work at all. Odd and erratic behavior like you describe, are usually a hardware issue.

As it's a laptop, you could go with an external USB model. As with most hardware, stick with a name brand for best performance and support.
usingpc and feenalauren like this.

Closed Thread