Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

No Wi-Fi with Router

This is a discussion on No Wi-Fi with Router within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm using a Cisco Linksys E1200 router, and I'm having issues with it tonight. While I can access the internet

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I'm using a Cisco Linksys E1200 router, and I'm having issues with it tonight. While I can access the internet on the computer connected to it by the wire, my other computer (the Windows Vista PC listed under my computer info) cannot connect to the network.
The computer is a desktop, and uses a Belkin Wireless Adapter plugged into the USB port, in order to access the internet. Normally, my computer automatically connects to the network when it turns on, but today when I booted it up, it didn't connect. When I troubleshooted, it claimed I couldn't connect because the security password was incorrect, even though the code hadn't changed. However, my computer can successfully connect to the unsecured networks floating around, so it's not an inability to connect to a network at all.
I tried refreshing my router, then restarting my Vista PC. Neither of these solved the issue.
I tried opening Linksys Connect on the computer that's connected to the router. It sat there loading without doing anything, so I uninstalled it, then downloaded the installation file and tried to install it again. It would reach 25%, then sit there without any visible progress. So I gave up on using that to access my router settings. I then tried typing '192.168.1.1' into the browser. I did this on Google Chrome, then on Internet Explorer (with and without add-ons). Every time, it would sit there with the spinning 'loading icon, but didn't actually load anything. I opened Command Prompt and typed 'ipconfig', and it said I had the right gateway address.

At this point, I've done everything except unplug the router, reset it, and hit it with a sledgehammer. And, I still can't connect my PC to the network. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I try unplugging it or resetting it, or is there another option I could look into first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

What operating system are you using?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Power cycle it by turning it off, unplug its power source and leave it for at least 5 seconds to a minute. This should be enough to clear residual current from its circuitry. Factory reset it, then configure it afresh. Remove the old wifi profile from the Vista PC and let it detect the newly configured network then connect to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

The computer I'm trying to connect with wi-fi is the Windows Vista desktop PC on my system specs here. The computer plugged into the router is a Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1, and is also a desktop.

Okay, I unplugged everything from the router and let it sit there for about an hour. Then I plugged everything back in. I still only have internet on the Windows 7 PC. The Vista computer can't connect to wi-fi. This time, instead of saying the password is wrong, it says wireless association failed because the computer did not receive a response.
I tried installing Linksys Connect again, and this time it successfully installed. The wi-fi security is WPA2 Personal. Here are the router details copied from Linksys Connect.

Model name: E1200
Model number: E1200
Serial number: 10822C6A329760
Firmware version: 2.0.06 build 6
Operating system: Windows 7
Software version: 1.5.15287.0
Connection type (WAN): DHCP
IP address (LAN): 192.168.1.1
IP address (WAN): 10.10.100.140
Computer IP address: 192.168.1.108

Should I try resetting the router at this point?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I would suggest you download xirrus wifi inspector and post a screen shot of what it sees for wifi in your area. Do this on the vista box
Old 10-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

It looks like either your pc or your router has lost its settings. It happens.

Use your Linksys connect and check to see if the wireless settings on your router are what they should be. Check the passphrase is as it should be... in fact re-enter the passphrase (for your WPA2 SSID) just to be sure. Try to connect again. if that fails do the following.

Right click the network/wireless icon on your system tray, select network sharing centre. Click manage wireless settings on the left. There should be an icon for your network as it was previously configured. Right click and select remove network. I will ask if you are sure, click yes. Close the Network Sharing Centre window.

click (left) on the wireless icon on the system tray. You should see your wireless network there. If you don't, there is still a problem with your router, panic for 5 seconds then report back.

If you see your wireless network, click on it (tick the connect automatically checkbox) and click connect. It will ask you for the passphrase, as long as you enter the correct passphrase it should work, and things should be fine.

If it doesn't work don't panic, report back.