Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

No WAN port can I set up wireless?

This is a discussion on No WAN port can I set up wireless? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Quick question... anyone know if I can set up a wireless network through a dsl router using ethernet cables? It

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Quick question... anyone know if I can set up a wireless network through a dsl router using ethernet cables? It does not have a WAN port. Anyone know if this is possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

dsl router has a builtin modem [assuming a combo unit] and has such has a builtin wan port.

But that is unimportant to setting up a wifi network. Does the router have wifi?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

If your thought was to have a wifi network without internet that is entirely doable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

right now I have my internet modem connected to my laptop using an ethernet cable. I have an internet router but it only has a dsl port and 4 ETH ports. Can I set up the router for wifi if there is no WAN port?
Old 11-12-2016, 04:02 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Home network configuration is:

ISP > modem > router

What is the brand / model of your hardware?

As to your question, yes, you can setup wifi. But the devices will only see each other (ie: your internal network) and not the internet.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Yes you can set it up for wifi but only for one access/ip address.

You logon to the router and disable its dhcp server. You setup the wifi. You connect the modem to a lan port. You will need to change your ip address statically to gain access to the router after the setup since the dhcp server is disabled.

I highly suggest a non dsl router so you can do nat and have multiple devices connected to the router via wired and wifi.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble connecting wireless router to Motorola Cable modem
Hey guys, Im hoping someone can help me with this weird problem i'm having trying to connnect an ASUS RT-AC52U to a Motorola SB5102 Cable modem. At first it tried the usual just plugging everything in and do the quick wizzard setup, that didn't work at all so when i looked around it seemed...
takitoes Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 7 12-15-2014 11:35 AM
Windows Xp slow boot after splash screen
After the Windows Xp splash screen I get about 30 to 40 seconds of blackness (could be more) before the cursor appears. When I start in Safe Mode it takes a long time to load mup.sys but that could just be because it's the last one to load. Here's by most recent ntbtlog.txt: Service...
Sulla Windows XP Support 5 06-17-2013 10:29 AM
Driver Error or Possible Video Card Failure?
First of all, thanks to anyone in advance for all your help. Im pretty sure that my video card is fried, but I just wanted to check with you guys before making the decision to buy a new one. I started having problems a few weeks ago. Noticed when I started up my computer some days the icons on...
theafterglow Driver Support 22 03-16-2012 01:09 PM
Error 132 issues with WoW
Hello everyone. I've posted on the WoW Tech support forums several times with no real success, so I figured I'd give this a shot. Getting 132 errors during gameplay at least a few times a day, and I have no idea what is causing the issues. Appreciate any help! Latest crash log: ...
Rossdale PC Gaming Support 6 04-13-2011 02:10 AM
Appropriate Graphics Card For Comapq Evo D510
Hello, New here so please don't shoot me down if I ask a rubbish question or post in the wrong place :grin: I have 2 pcs at my disposal for general use and I'm often messing about fixng other peoples pc probs or upgrading for them, but here's one I am having trouble solving. I require an...
producer_ben Video Card Support 2 02-20-2011 02:20 PM