Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

New router disconnects phone line when connected it to splitter

This is a discussion on New router disconnects phone line when connected it to splitter within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just got a new Linksys AC1600 router as gift from Canada, I have my main phone line connected to a

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Just got a new Linksys AC1600 router as gift from Canada, I have my main phone line connected to a splitter on one WAN port, and the other side has two WAN ports. One connected to the phone socket in my house and another DSL side which is connected to the router WAN port. Whenever my I connect the dsl to the new router, my phone line disconnects and hence I have no internet or phone line. When I connected it to the old router, there is no problem. Oh and one more thing, If my router is disconnected from any power and I just bring the dsl wire close to the dsl WAN port of the router, the phone line disconnects even if I dont plug it in.

I live in Egypt where the voltage is 220 and the router is from Canada at 120 volts and the power source is 100-240 volts, don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Do I just need to buy a new splitter or is the issue deeper than that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Welcome to TSF!

See this page for more info: Egypt: power plug adapter needed? | POWER PLUGS AND SOCKETS OF THE WORLD
Old 02-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, the router turns on just fine . The issue is bigger than that I think, like I said even if the router is not connected to any power source and I'm just carrying it by hand close to the phone line then the phone line disconnects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Wow, missed the part about not even being powered. Haven't a clue ... other than some weird interference that should never be happening. Definitely has my curiosity up. Hopefully someone will be along soon with an answer.
Closed Thread