Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

network problem- modem needs to be restarted weekly

This is a discussion on network problem- modem needs to be restarted weekly within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi i have a customer who has a large house. his modem/router from cable company is in basement and then

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi i have a customer who has a large house. his modem/router from cable company is in basement and then there is first floor and second floor and then there is the other end of the house.
over couple of years i have been adding routers to the network. at this point we have:
1. modem/router - from spectrum- arris docsis 3.0 (dont have model number on hand but it was installed just recently so it must be one of the latest models i would assume). router in modem has default gateway 192.168.0.1
2. from this router there are two cables that go into two separate Switches- they both are D-link switches with 24 ports. all the ports are full in those switches and they provide internet connection to ethernet ports in the walls through out the house.
3. i have additional 4 routers in all ends of the house currently.
each on static ip. 192.168.0.8 (9,11,12)
4. each router has its own network
all routers have firmware upgraded and are fairly new. i have two netgear r8000 and another netgear and an asus router. two routers are tri band and two are dual band. so there is 2.4 and 5g and 5g(2) blasting all over the place.
5. there are about 4-6 people in the house with a bunch of phones ip.ads and laptops running around using the internet on a regular evening and they are complaining often about internet being bad often.

the problem we are having is that about once a week he has to go reset the modem downstairs. because network slows down or internet stops working completely.
this arris modem is newly installed about one month ago. but before we were having similar issues with 7 year old modem/router from time warner.
so im not sure whats going on. we got old modem replaced with this one and issue remains similar. however when i was checking settings on arris modem/router today, it was having hard time switching internal pages from WAN settings to LAN settings or any other button i would press. it would go to a black page which read: updating settings please wait. and then internet would disappear for couple minutes until update was finished. i rebooted it couple of times. and it was still doing the same thing.
if you have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate because its kind of becoming weird already ive been going out there a lot and problem still persists. im not very savvy in this but know some basics. perhaps im doing something wrong or if there is a better way to fix this i wouldn't mind learning! thanks!
p.s. also i just remembered after spectrum installed modem it wouldnt work immediately they called me i had to come out and wifi was not working on it. i logged into back panel and it was turned on but not working. i had to to factory reset on it. then wifi started working. so perhaps this modem is faulty?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Sounds like another bad router. Typically, if a reboot fixes it, there is a hardware issue (applies to most hardware).

As to the router navigation, whenever you "save" settings on a page, the configuration is saved and reloaded. This reload causes a service interruption. You should be able to navigate the menus without any issues, but if you are making and saving changes (inferred from the "updating settings" comment), then that is normal.

As to the network in general, I would have used a single router and access points or simply bridged the additional routers ( Connecting Additional Routers - Tech Support Forum )and kept the entire house on a single subnet. But as it's working (except for the issue noted above), there is no reason to change it now.

I would suggest replacing the provided modem/router combo unit with a modem and adding your own router. That would at least assist in troubleshooting as you would be able to tell if it was a modem or router issue and save the monthly $5 "wifi" fee.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I know what you are saying Jim but most of these cable companies I work with charge the same for a modem router as they do for a modem and actually modem rentals by themselves seem to be disappearing at least from Comcast as I see...with the need of updating so often I have been advising clients to rent the modem/routers these days as by the time you make 10 payments it is almost time for a new one anyway. I use my own router with Comcast Business as they no longer supply just modems and quite frankly I have been having wire and wireless issues with their supplied equipment lately anyway but I do agree the user should be using wireless access points rather than additional routers as using routers adds the potential for ip issues over time.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

It was a mistake network design wise to add routers. A WDS or Mesh network would have been advisable.
You just created more hops/latency. This may not be a router or modem issue but a bandwidth supply/wifi channel contention issue.

Can't agree with renting equipment especially modems. Unless the modem doesn't support the isp channel allocation there isn't a need to update the modems. Routers are a different story.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Gentle Arrow, as I said Comcast, Service Electric, and Penn Tele Data, the ones I come into contact with no longer supply just modems. That is why I changed my view on that.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
As to the network in general, I would have used a single router and access points or simply bridged the additional routers... and kept the entire house on a single subnet.

That's the direction I usually take. I'm not clear if all 48+ ports are in active use with devices connected, or if they're just connected to jacks and ready for use. If they're all active, there may be a reason to segregate some of them into separate networks.
Closed Thread