Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Network drops - ISP or Possible Modem Issue?

This is a discussion on Network drops - ISP or Possible Modem Issue? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For starters here is some information about my setup. ISP: Cox Communications, Location Phoenix Area ISP Package: Premiere 100/10 Modem:

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

For starters here is some information about my setup.
ISP: Cox Communications, Location Phoenix Area
ISP Package: Premiere 100/10
Modem: Motorolla Surfboard S86121
Router: ASUS RT-AC56R
Connection: Wired

Recently my internet has been dropping randomly. Most of the time it is late at night, and I know Cox is installing Gigablast in Phoenix so maybe this has something to do with it. Or they have just been doing random maintenance. But it dropped in the daytime today, which is very rare. So I called and did the automated modem reset which resulted in nothing. I then unplug all the cables from the modem wait a few minutes and re-connect them. Still results in nothing, so I called them again and spoke to someone about the issue. He said that there was no problem in the area that he could see. He did a different type of reset which eventually fixed the modem, but he said that some of the upstream signal levels were low. So I went to 192.168.100.1 to see my modems stats and it showed some lower levels. But I'm not exactly sure how to read this and would love some help to decipher if it's more likely an ISP issue or if it could be a modem issue.

My most recent speed test results are fine: Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
I did a ping test yesterday and got a result of 0% packet loss, 1% jitter, and now I got this today

Here are my modems stat pages: Modem Problem - Album on Imgur

Overall today things have been just taking longer to load with sometimes them timing out. It's been a very annoying issue and any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

You might have a coax wiring issue. Upstream transmit should probably be around +35 to +50 dB, max. A tech from Cox will have an easier time of looking at your transmit & receive signal levels and compare line noise, etc.

Are you using any splitters, filters or signal boosters anywhere on your coax connection? Splitting your line & adding more TVs can degrade your signal. Try connecting your modem to the closest point where the service comes in to the house and read your levels again. All connections should be tight, coax center conductors should be straight and extend about 1/8" beyond the connector.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
You might have a coax wiring issue. Upstream transmit should probably be around +35 to +50 dB, max. A tech from Cox will have an easier time of looking at your transmit & receive signal levels and compare line noise, etc.

Are you using any splitters, filters or signal boosters anywhere on your coax connection? Splitting your line & adding more TVs can degrade your signal. Try connecting your modem to the closest point where the service comes in to the house and read your levels again. All connections should be tight, coax center conductors should be straight and extend about 1/8" beyond the connector.
Thank you for responding. There is not even one splitter on the line. It comes directly from the hub outside to the side of my house and into my wiring room. The only thing between the hub and the modem are the pieces that connect two wires. Anyways I'll give them a call and see if they can raise the upstream levels. I'm pretty sure we have the plan where it's free for them to come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

I would definitely have them come out and look at everything. A tech can test your lines at different points and out to the pole and get a better idea than someone in the office. If there aren't any problems with wiring, they'll probably swap out your modem. Post back if you get an update from them.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
I would definitely have them come out and look at everything. A tech can test your lines at different points and out to the pole and get a better idea than someone in the office. If there aren't any problems with wiring, they'll probably swap out your modem. Post back if you get an update from them.
Yeah, I set up an appointment. I purchased the modem separate from them, so it will kind of suck if the modem is broke. But at least it will fix the random problems I've been having. Thanks for the help, I'll post back after they come out.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

That's a pretty new modem, so it might still be under warranty if it turns out to be the problem.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

So the technician came out and put a amplifier or signal booster on the cable modem to raise my upstream power levels a bit. But we haven't had any errors for a few days which is good. Everything seems better now I guess. Also apparently there was some issue in the area that they fixed a few days before he came to my house, apparently other people were having problems too. So I'm guessing that was part of the cause.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

That's good to hear and it sounds like the problem is on their end. You don't normally want to use an amplifier on the modem side, so the tech is probably compensating for a poor signal at the pole or an overloaded area. Keep that in mind if you run into problems again.