Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Need a new router and modem, recommendations and help

This is a discussion on Need a new router and modem, recommendations and help within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry if this is not the right place to ask... I wanted to know what I should look for when

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask...

I wanted to know what I should look for when signing up with a cable company or an internet company..haven't decided yet what we're gonna do, we're just looking for the cheapest option, as we can't afford the more expensive bundles etc, but I do want to know all my options and what they even mean, every company has different internet speed's etc even at basic bundles, and I have no idea what any of that means...and what I should be looking for.

Right now we have 125GB usage/per month
Speed's up to 30 mbps download and 5 mbps upload

Is that any good? or not so much?

I guess for me when I use the internet it runs pretty smooth..for everyday tasks, I do watch some shows online ...don't see any huge problems.

Also, what about wireless routers? Does it matter what kind I have? the one we have we bought over 10 years ago? and we just looked at price because when I was younger I didn't know anything about internet..but I haven't had any problems with it either? so should I be looking at cable company's internet specs and routers as well? or no?

Modem we got from our old cable company, our new cable company wanted us to get a new one for obvious reasons ($$$) but we said no, it works- it's fine! we don't need to spend money for a new modem just because you think it's outdated. Every 2 years things get outdated but they still work.

Please tell me everything I need to know about internet speeds, routers if they matter and all that. I need to know everything before I consider a cable/ or internet company. I want to know to get the best deal.

Thank you :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Right now we have 125GB usage/per month
Speed's up to 30 mbps download and 5 mbps upload

Is that any good? or not so much?
The speed itself is great, but the maximum download cap is what can be a pain. Getting a plan that doesn't have a cap should always be important when shopping for internet.

Are you the only one using the internet in the house? Or do you share it with a spouse? If there are only two of you then you actually have too much download speed that you can use. You can go down to say 10 mbps.

Quote:
Also, what about wireless routers? Does it matter what kind I have? the one we have we bought over 10 years ago? and we just looked at price because when I was younger I didn't know anything about internet..but I haven't had any problems with it either? so should I be looking at cable company's internet specs and routers as well? or no?
Your wireless router is what gives you Wi-Fi within your home. It certainly does matter which unit you have as it gives you additional protection on the internet and better range within your home.

If the router is over 10 years old, then it is certainly time for a new one.

My advice is that you always reject the provided Modem and/or router provided by the cable company. They will charge you monthly for a cheap item! If you list how much you have to spend on a new modem and router I can list a few recommendations.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

By cap you mean capacity? so I should go unlimited?

There are 4 people in the house, 2 of them being my parent's so..they don't use the internet that much. So I guess I use it most when I watch shows online etc. But also, there are a lot of things connected to the internet, smart tv, xbox, playstation etc that 4th person in the house uses as well. My smartphone is on our wifi as well.
Our limit is fine I guess. We have been close to limit before but that was probably my fault watching too many shows..
I have thought about going unlimited but we'll see..maybe if we can find a good option with another company that's inexpensive. But I don't think it' s a must..

I remember a long time ago we were having connection issues years ago/old company we had and they told us it has a lot to do with people around you, if your neighbors use the internet at around the same time then it weighs down the connection or something like that and it can be slower and have issues etc. Is that true?
So what are you supposed to do, move to an open field with no people? :/

Our modem is not on rent, we bought it from our old cable company many years ago, it was a buy out, one payment, we don't even have that company anymore. I didn't even know you could set up your own, so if they ask you to buy a modem you just say you will buy your own and they're ok with that? they can be very pushy/rude people..

I also wanted to know what is wrong with our current wireless router/modem, what makes one better? and how do I know that mine is not good anymore?
I thought internet had more to do with internet company because that's where the internet comes from, than modem/router.

Thank you very much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, I know it's been a while but I think I need to purchase a new router and cable modem.

I just don't know what to look for, and how often should they be replaced? and why should they be replaced? what makes them not be good enough anymore?

that's what I would really like to know..to me it's just a box that receives signals, it shouldn't..break or stop working so I would like to know why this happens.

I get very confused when it comes to this stuff..because there's so much to know and I'm not good with this tech stuff especially modems/routers so I apologize in advance.

-Thank you.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

And would like to know some recommendations for both a modem and a router.
Each under $100 if possible.
Thank you.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If everything is working, then they likely do not need to be replaced.

As to what brand/model modem to use, you will need to check with your ISP. They should have a list of modems that they support on their network.

For the router you can use whatever brand/model that you want. This usually boils down to any features that you want/need, such as the number of ethernet ports, wireless type, price, etc.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

I called my ISP once they said all cable modems are compatible with them.
Yes, I am having some spotty wifi. computers seem to work fine though..for the most part.

Yea, they're only not working when it's time to replace, so I can't buy one online without connection.

Have you ever had your modems/routers not working? how long have you had yours for?

My ISP said they need to be replaced every 7 years max.

I just amazon searched routers and modems and they all have different speeds, ghz, dual band, mbps, wireless N, AC I have no idea what any of that means..that's where I need some help.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

There are also ones with hot spot amplifiers? does that mean it gives a stronger signal? wouldn't something like that be best? if there are routers that do that I think I might want to look into that..
Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I've replaced the modem 3 times in my 17+ years of cable use. One failed, one was replaced because it was outdated and was limiting the connection speed. The third modem still works, but I exchanged it for a newer model supplied by the ISP. It's sitting in my closet as a spare.

With you current 30/5 speed, even older models can handle that speed. But I'm surprised they said they support "all modems". They typically limit usage to only newer models as they supply the firmware for proper operation on their network. Any of the newer Arris or Motorola models should be fine.

I'm on my third router in that time span as well. One failed and one was upgraded for a better model.

Most all routers should handle the common frequencies (A, B, G, N). The new models also support AC. No reason not to get a newer model which supports AC, but you likely don't need it (unless you actually already have a device which uses AC). I've used Linksys, D-Link, and Asus models. You could likely narrow the list by price and ratings.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm sorry but what is AC? I see it in laptops too..when they support AC, what about laptops that don't have AC support..so if I have an AC support laptop but not an AC router will laptop not work?
Thank you! today, I simply moved my internet boxes and after that I lost connection on my wifi...very frustrated I called my ISP, they said connect directly from modem to computer, yes, had connection, then connected back to router, no connection, so they said router is problem most likely..
Then, moments later I tried connecting again and had wifi... -_-
no idea what is happening but it could be the wifi signal is getting weaker..or router needs to be replaced. Are there signs that tell you router need's to be replaced?

Also, what about those 2-in-1 modem and routers?
Are those any better, but what happens if you get that and your wifi signal goes out..then does your modem signal go out too, since they are one box?
Sorry for all the questions, of all things in life I think internet is most complicated thing to understand :/
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

what is AC?
Refers to the wireless protocol being supported. IEEE 802.11ac is the newest generation. Dual band with high bandwidth. Backward compatible with 802.11b/g/n
802.11 Wireless Standards
Old 04-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Like most everything else in life, they typically work until they don't. Issues that continue to occur (like wifi not working and then working) or error lights on the device can often be indications of failure, but not always.

I would suggest using two separate devices (ie: a modem and a router) and not a combo unit. Combo units make troubleshooting (like the process the ISP had you perform) impossible. Plus if the router or modem part of the unit fails, or you simply need to upgrade the router or modem, you are stuck replacing the entire unit.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

So, sounds like AC is not something I should worry about.
Thank you, am glad I asked about the combo unit, it's weird that my ISP recommended them if they are harder to troubleshoot.
So all boxes pretty much work the same, there's no such thing as some boxes having stronger signals?

Also, we have in our house a cable connection, would you say that is a good type of connection or are there better connections out there that are more reliable/safe?

-Thank you.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Registered Member

Also, how do I set up a new router? any tips on how to do that to get the safest and best connection etc? What should I do in settings? not good with set ups.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #15
Moderator - Hardware

My System

They all function the same, but yes, some have better signals than others.

As for cable, I assume you mean that you current have a cable provider as an ISP. It's usually not a matter of choosing what's best, it's a matter of choosing the best from what is available at your location. And for most people, there isn't a choice.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with cable service.

Router setup is pretty straight forward and all you typically need to do is follow the quick setup guide or follow the onscreen prompts.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #16
Registered Member

Oh, I just meant a cable connection, as my internet connection, I have a cable line in my house, goes from tv to internet wanted to know if that was something that is now outdated or still gives good signals.
Thank you! I hope so! I remember when our first router got set up we had to go into the IP page online of the router and configure some settings there? to make it more secure etc.
do I have to do anything like that?
Thank you!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Basic setup is automated, but yes, you will have to configure basic username/password, as well as the wifi information.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
Registered Member

Wifi information, what do I do for that?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

You follow the routers setup manual. You answer the questions as you get to them.
Closed Thread