Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

My wireless connection keeps dropping???

This is a discussion on My wireless connection keeps dropping??? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I hope I'm putting this in the right section. My issue is that my wireless connection keeps dropping. It

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I hope I'm putting this in the right section. My issue is that my wireless connection keeps dropping. It still says it's connected even when it drops and I'm not sure how to fix it. My OS is Windows XP and I'm using a Netopia 3d Reach usb pen drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

Please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

Old 05-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Alright, thanks. Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001_29052016_171616.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	283146  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Which of those is yours? All three are very weak and two are on the sam channel.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

WEST4061 is the 1 I'm using. How does being on the same channel affect the network and how can I make them stronger?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

You have no security on the router so anyone could be using it without your knowledge. You can change the channel by going into wireless settings. You can get owners manual that shows how to do that at the manufacturers support site.

Signal strength can be tricky . . you can try moving either the pc or router so that they are closer together. Try to place the router so that there is minimum of walls, mirrors and anything that transmits radio signals.

You can also use a range extender to expand the range of the router

Old 05-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

Really, that would explain some things. What on the picture I uploaded shows you that I have no security? Oh, and does it matter what channel I change it to or will any number do?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Under "Default Auth" it reports None . . although under "Default Encryotion" it reports WEP. Do you have to inter a security pin when you connect to it?

I would change it to channel 1 since there is another on 11

Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

I don't think so. Ok, in the wireless security settings next to authentication type it says "open system". The other option is shared key. And that is what you're saying it should be on?

Also, when I change the setting and switch the channel to 1, I should restart the router?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob626 View Post
I don't think so. Ok, in the wireless security settings next to authentication type it says "open system". The other option is shared key. And that is what you're saying it should be on?

Yes . . WEP is the weakest

Also, when I change the setting and switch the channel to 1, I should restart the router?

Yes

Old 05-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
Registered Member

Ok, I changed all you said. I ran the Xirrus scan and the default auth still says open. Should I change the wireless security to something other than WEP?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001_30052016_142035.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	283186  
Old 05-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

WPA-PSK is the strongest if your network card ill work with that

Old 05-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Ok, once I change it will I have to create another password or something like that?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Yes . . when you change the type of security you set the password

Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 AM   #15
Registered Member

Alright, I've ran into another problem. The are 2 other pc's on the network that now can't access the internet since I changed the Network Authentication from open to shared. The same thing happened to me, but I found the option to change the authentication from open to shared in the properties of the west4061 connection. The problem is that the other 2 pc's are using Windows 10 and I have no idea where to look to change theirs from open to shared. I still haven't changed the security from WEP yet because of this little issue. Where should I look to change the settings on the other 2 pc's cause I'm not familiar with Windows 10 what so ever?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

You will have to set up the wireless connection as though it is for the first time . . see this

How to manage wireless network connections in Windows 10 | Windows Central

Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 AM   #17
Registered Member

Alright, this has become a bigger problem than I anticipated. The original problem of my connection keeps dropping has been fixed, so thanks for that Rich. But I have some stuff I need to attend to right now so I will be back at a later date. Thanks again for your help Rich.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

You are welcome!

Closed Thread