Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

modem or line?

This is a discussion on modem or line? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been having issues with internet connectivity for almost a year. I've exhausted software and other computer issues including

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have been having issues with internet connectivity for almost a year. I've exhausted software and other computer issues including win 10 fixes, in addition, I replaced my router about a month or so ago. I'm now wondering if it is either an old modem or bad cabling somewhere between the pole and the modem. I'm pasting modem reports from the last episode this morning. These drops are sporadic. Can't seem to predict them or attempt to replicate them. Often they last for a few minutes then everything resets itself and goes back to normal. In fact, I think I miss them sometimes because they are so quick. With my new router, it seems to also go down for a minute or two or three as well. Will come back on its own. These mini outages also effect my Roku devices and wireless printers. The drops can also happen when hardwired into the router. I haven't tried directly through the modem simply because our other devices are needed for business. Thanks in advance.
google ping ave = 97ms, high 138 low 39
fb ping ave = 29, high 38, low 26

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Lost MDD Timeout? MDD Message timeout ? - Charter Spectrum | DSLReports Forums

Have your provider do a line and modem test.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

On my list of things to do tomorrow. Will post results. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Spectrum is sending someone out on Friday to look at the issue more closely. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Yes, hopefully the tech changes both of your modem and line. Also, do you have a splitter that connects multiple lines? For example, do you use cable TV on multiple TV's at home?

Old 09-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

Okay. Spectrum came out to check out lines. Cabling looked fine. He found some minor discrepancies and found some connections outside. One went to nowhere. He reconfigured those connections and checked lines again and said everything seemed to be fine. About 10 minutes after he left, I was right back to the same old problem - intermittent connection issues. Not sure what do to at this point.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that he changed out modem cables and checked connections.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Modem check is done from the home office. Checking cables is only half of it.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

I was checking the cable between the modem and router and found some kinks in it, so I changed it out for a new one. No drops in a week. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for the help. Marking solved.
Closed Thread