Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Modem Help, Unsure which to get.

This is a discussion on Modem Help, Unsure which to get. within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have Arris TM1602 which was supplied by my Internet company. I have heard this one has issues, What

Like Tree2Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I have Arris TM1602 which was supplied by my Internet company. I have heard this one has issues, What kind of issues would I notice? Should I buy my own?
I have ASUS RC AC5300 Routers ( I have two in my home ).
I pretty much use everything WiFi, Very few hardwired items.

I was thinking about one of these,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCHLFD6/?tag=snbforums-20

Which model? I do have Internet phone so I believe I need one that does that, I also have Spectrum as cable and I have a 500 MBPS Plan.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Check against this: https://approvedmodemlist.com/charte...ems/#modemlist

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

I don't know much about this stuff. I have a lot of Wireless gear, Kids game and stream. I need Phone Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

This shows if what you're looking at is recommended by your ISP. If not, then even if it appears to work, later on they won't give or send technical help.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi, Sorry I try to be clear when I post but I am not very up on this stuff. I use Spectrum and they supply the phone though the Modem, I called them and they said if I don't get a Voice and Data Modem I can keep theirs and use it for the phone., I have Cable Jacks though out the house so i could move the phone and the ISP Modem to a different location and put new Modem where my current one is. Is the Net Gear a better Modem then the Motorola MB8600? I am looking to get the best one I can, My current has the Puma 6 Chip which I hear is not recommended. Thank you
Old 01-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I really don't know your expectations, but I'd think twice about the price of the Netgear. Note what the Motorola won't do.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

I want a strong performing Modem, I want one that is well built and should not really give me any trouble, For a 6 person home and figure there could be 20 or more items on WiFI at anytime.

What wont the Motorola do? Is the Netgear a bad price?

I am here asking for advice and guidance this is not my field. Thank you
Old 01-15-2020, 06:13 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Things like this when reading specs: Model MB7621 has no phone jack.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

What are the difference between the MB8600 and the MB7621?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:42 AM   #10
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Performance wise, a modem isn't going to make any difference. It is either supported and provides the speed for which you are paying, or it isn't and it doesn't.

From a performance standpoint, only the router is likely to make any difference. And if you are looking for "performance", then you should be using ethernet and not wifi, thus performance isn't an issue either. The major difference between various routers would be wifi performance.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

My current Modem has the Puma 6 chip which from what I am reading is giving me poor performance. I do notice freezing an disconnects at times on my system. I have a 400 MBPS plan and I do get speeds of around 480 on WiFi.At times it will drop to 80 ish MBPS and then I have to reboot modem and router.

Ping on the speedtest app is around 22MS I found a PUma6 test link and I had 3 or 4 in th ered which the site said was bad. I dont know much about this stuff.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE.G View Post
My current Modem has the Puma 6 chip which from what I am reading is giving me poor performance. I do notice freezing an disconnects at times on my system. I have a 400 MBPS plan and I do get speeds of around 480 on WiFi.At times it will drop to 80 ish MBPS and then I have to reboot modem and router.

Ping on the speedtest app is around 22MS I found a PUma6 test link and I had 3 or 4 in th ered which the site said was bad. I dont know much about this stuff.
A list of modems with Intel Puma 6 chipset is available here https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-...ipset-defects/ so use it as a reference. The Spectrum approved modems list does not have a single voice modem listed. A list of supported voice modems is available here https://www.spectrum.net/support/voice/voice-modems/ so use that as a reference as well. Consult with Spectrum to know what your options are for your data plan.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

JOE.G

Please do not create multiple threads about the same issue.

If you have no reply to your thread within 48 hours, you may reply to your own thread with the message, "Bump please". This will bring your thread back to the top of the list.

Quote:
MULTIPLE POSTING

This refers to posting the same question or same replies in multiple areas of the site (also called flooding). Please post only once. If you feel you have posted in the wrong forum, contact a Moderator or Manager, who will move the post for you. This also includes the creation of multiple new threads on the same or similar topics and sending PM's continuously to one or more Staff members.

Rules

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 01-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Okay, I didn't think it was a multiple post as I was asking in this about Modem choices and in that post I was asking what issues a certain chip set causes which to me are two separate topics.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:01 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE.G View Post
Hi, I have Arris TM1602 which was supplied by my Internet company.

So do I from Spectrum. I too have the Internet Phone. As others have said, they (Spectrum) do NOT allow customer owned Voice Modems.

I will also say 'do the math'. Spectrum does not charge for the modem per month. Before they bought my ISP (Brighthouse) there was a $5/mo. charge for the modem. If you buy your own and you have a problem (some people have said they could do it and when they called in to authorize it Spectrum did it even if NOT on the Authorized list) it will be your problem if it isn't wiring. If it should fail, you'd need to replace it. Also, buying a DOCSIS 3.0 modem might not be a good idea. You might need DOCSIS 3.1 is they boost the speed over 300Mbps.

As for the Puma 6 chipset, I too thought it was a problem and had them replace the TM1602. So what did they put in? A TG1672G, same problem and chipset (only voice modem that they could put in at the time). Used it for a month and they didn't seem to work any better. You can test to see if you have a real problem @ https://www.badmodems.com/Tools.htm and my TM1602 is mostly RED.

When I got them to put in Technicolor (brand new at the time and DOCSIS 3.1) the first one completely failed in the first month. Replaced and I had worse Internet. Got a 'story' that my signal was 'too high' and a transformer was put in and the modem replace with another one of the same model. Then my phone had problems. Came out and they replaced the modem again. Within a month I had Internet and phone problems. Then I was told they discovered the Technicolor (model E31T2V1) didn't work well with service less than 300Mbps.

So I am back on the TM1602, phone works fine, and other than the TEST for PUMA 6, I do not see any problems, nor did I have any apparent Internet usage changes/improvements with the DOCSIS modems compared to the Arris.

In my many years with Brighthouse and Spectrum I have had a few modems fail on me and need to be replaced. I would not get my own.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

I have used that site and the tests showed 3 to 4 lines of Red, I am going to see what other options Spectrum has available at the local place to let me try. I don't pay a monthly fee but I still would like a solid internet. I am not sure if I am having problems, I know that I am told certain online games will freeze at times which May be the chipset but I am not sure.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #17
Registered Member

I stopped at my local Spectrum office and the only Modem they had there still is the same one I have.
I am thinking of adding the MB8600 shortly, When I get it is there any settings I need to tweak in it? Or is it plug and play for the most part? Thanks
Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #18
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

You'll get a manual which will explain everything.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #19
Registered Member

Okay hopefully its written in none computer guy language.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #20
Registered Member

I have Spectrum Internet and phone as well. A short time ago I began experiencing my Internet dropping for a few seconds and then reconnecting again. The problem kept getting more frequent and I finally called Spectrum and a tech came to the house and checked all of the connections at the road and at my house. He then replaced my Arris modem with a newer Arris TM822. I have not experienced the Internet dropping since. I pay for 100 Mbps download and my desktop computer is connected to my TP-Link router and gets 115 Mbps. If you have an older laptop the wifi card may not be able to achieve the speed available either. An ethernet connection will always yield the fastest connection speeds. If you are connecting to the Internet via wifi then the router itself can be the cause of poor download speeds.

As an added note, if your Internet/phone modem is near a phone jack, connect your modem to the phone jack with a phone cable. This will liven all the other phone jacks in your house so you can connect a phone to any of them. I've seen many times where the Spectrum technician just connected the phone directly to the modem. That's not the way it should be done.
JOE.G likes this.
Closed Thread