Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Modem Help, Unsure which to get.

This is a discussion on Modem Help, Unsure which to get. within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I get over 400 MBPS on WiFi and almost all of my equipment, the speed is not a issue, I

Like Tree2Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

I get over 400 MBPS on WiFi and almost all of my equipment, the speed is not a issue, I do get buffering at times which I am thinking may be Modem but I am not sure.

I removed all the Phone jacks in my home when I remodeled, I have the phone system that requires only one base station and rest connect to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #22
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo791 View Post
I've seen many times where the Spectrum technician just connected the phone directly to the modem. That's not the way it should be done.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it that way if you don't mind having one or two phones next to the modem. Wanna explain the rationale behind your claim?
Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it that way if you don't mind having one or two phones next to the modem. Wanna explain the rationale behind your claim?
Sure. I help a friend occasionally install captioning phones for the hearing impaired. He is not well versed in networking so I help him with that part sometimes. Often the party wants the captioning phone in a location which is not adjacent to the phone / Internet modem. We have found the modem installed in very obscure locations, such as a bedroom. We have even found them in a basement, and hanging from a floor joist! I've seen some pretty sloppy work done by Spectrum installers. We've seen people that have a phone mounted to the wall in a kitchen and they say the phone hasn't worked since Spectrum did their install. They think the jacks are dead because they changed providers and that is not the case. Spectrum just did the quick and dirty by plugging their phone directly into the modem. The correct way to do the install is to use a splitter on the modem and run a phone cable to a phone jack so that all the phone jacks in the home are active. That allows the person to locate the phone in more convenient locations. My modem is adjacent to my computer in the living room, but I don't want my base phone there. I want the base phone in the kitchen. Hope this clears up my position.
JOE.G likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo791 View Post
My modem is adjacent to my computer in the living room, but I don't want my base phone there. I want the base phone in the kitchen. Hope this clears up my position.
Sure it does. Different strokes for different folks, which makes me wonder, does Spectrum's standard installation service account for the client's preferences? What's their policy regarding pre-existing installations that weren't done by them, say the phone jacks in the house? I don't expect them to touch or bother with those, unless you specifically request them to, which will most likely attract a fee for the extra setup. Clients tend to feel entitled to free service in the name of "customer service" regardless of the scope of work involved. Have you ever called Spectrum for an explanation of their shoddy work, if not to at least lodge a complaint on the same? I'd love to hear what their response was.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #25
Registered Member

So I got the MB8600 Spectrum says everything is good on their end, I have no internet though the Router or direct to the modem, All the lights are lit up correctly, Motorola was no help either and said its a spectrum issue and they see it often. The computer does say it has internet but but does not connect to anything.

Spectrum said it may take 24 HRS to activate but I am not sure if they were just telling me that to get me off the phone after 4 HRS.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #26
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE.G View Post
So I got the MB8600 Spectrum says everything is good on their end, I have no internet though the Router or direct to the modem, All the lights are lit up correctly, Motorola was no help either and said its a spectrum issue and they see it often. The computer does say it has internet but but does not connect to anything.

Spectrum said it may take 24 HRS to activate but I am not sure if they were just telling me that to get me off the phone after 4 HRS.

Any ideas? Thanks
Give it at least 24 hours, then power-cycle the devices (turn off the computer, router and modem and unplug their power cables for at least two minutes, turn on the modem first and give it a few minutes to boot up and for the lights to stabilise, then turn on the router and allow it a few minutes to also boot up, then lastly turn on the computer.) If you still get no Internet on the computer OR any other device, call Spectrum again. Just so we're clear, is the new modem your own or supplied by Spectrum?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #27
Registered Member

This is a Modem that I purchased which was recommended on the boards here. Spectrum is still trying supposedly as of this morning when I called. Why are you also suggesting the 24 HRS? is this such a thing?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #28
Registered Member

Okay so The Modem started working, After 20 HRS, After it started working I reset all my Routers ( I have a few though out the property and also did a Hard reset on Modem. As of right now everything seems okay.
Closed Thread