Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Mesh vs traditional

This is a discussion on Mesh vs traditional within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I did search but could not find my answer on this. Hopefully this is the correct place to post this.

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I did search but could not find my answer on this. Hopefully this is the correct place to post this.

I am currently using a TP Link Archer 3150 router in my house with Xfinity internet. Speeds are very fast with close to 300mbps down on wired and 50-60 on 2.4ghz wifi. 5gh is close to 250 if I have a strong signal. Router is placed on main floor of a two story house.

Here are my questions/issue. I have two kids that play a lot of xbox online gaming and tend to stream videos/music on computers at the same time. During these "peak" times, the rest of us get horrible connections issues as the router seems to be prioritizing the gaming. I did not set it up to prioritize though. I can switch to the 5ghz channel on my devices but depending on what room I am in, that may or may not fix the issue.

I am thinking of doing one of two things. Either setting up priorities within the router as I believe mine can do that or look for an alternative like a mesh setup.

1. Who is using a mesh setup like Plume or Google?

2. Will a mesh network help me deal with the wifi allocation automatically (i.e. fix my connection issues when traffic is high in my house)?

3. If anyone is using a mesh system, how well does it work outside? I have a pool area about 40 to 50 feet from my house and I need wifi out there for Sonos control. My current router is plenty strong to reach out there.

I like the idea of Plume where I can have 6 pods spread throughout the house. Not sure if their system would help me with my issues though. And not sure how well it would travel to my pool area as their pods seem to have a low signal (on purpose).

Google seems like it has a hot signal so maybe that is a better choice. or another.

Confused!!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Wifi mesh won't do anything for your internet access bandwidth issue.

Your issue is gaming will use as much bandwidth as it can get. Everyone else has to stand in line for a turn.

To regulate the gaming bandwidth you need to configure QoS in the router giving the gaming consoles a set amount of bandwidth.

Here's your manual
https://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20224782.pdf
review chapter 8
Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok. Glad I didn't run our and spend $300+ for a new setup. I will play around with my current router and adjust the settings to limit the game consoles. Outside of this issue, I have been happy with this router.
Closed Thread