Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Low Broadband speed - is it my modem?

This is a discussion on Low Broadband speed - is it my modem? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I use a NetGear DG834G modem/router to connect to my ADSL broadband service. On connecting, I get a download speed

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

I use a NetGear DG834G modem/router to connect to my ADSL broadband service. On connecting, I get a download speed of about 4 Megabits/second, as measured by an app on my iPad called OOKLA Speedtest. However this drops within a few seconds to about 0.2 Mb/s or even less, sometimes as low as 40 kb/s, and stays at that level. If I disconnect the modem then reconnect it, the speed is back to 4 Mb/s but drops back to 0.2 quickly.

Since I get those few seconds at 4 Mb/s, It seems that my phone line and the exchange equipment can supply this speed, so should I try replacing the modem/router before taking this up with my service provider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DG834Gv3.aspx#download

Have you tried updating the firmware for the router first?

next check you have dsl filters in all phone sockets.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

What speed should you be getting from your service provider?

Are you testing with a wired or wireless connection to the router?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Well, it's now Sunday afternoon here in the UK and I've just done two speed tests, each giving me about 4.75 Mb/s. The USwitch post code checker says the speed I should get is "up to 17 Mb/s (estimated 4 Mb/s)", so I seem to be right on the estimated speed at this moment. It would be OK if it stayed like that, but every so often it dips right down to 0.2 Mb/s or less, and stays like that for a period, then later it's back to 4 or 5 Mb/s again and it holds that speed. What is odd is that during the slow periods the speed will revert to 4Mb/s for a few seconds if I disconnect/reconnect the ADSL connection at the modem.

I am testing with a wireless connection from my iPad to a wireless access point that is itself wired to the router.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32mids View Post
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DG834Gv3.aspx#download

Have you tried updating the firmware for the router first?

next check you have dsl filters in all phone sockets.
No I am always a bit nervous about doing a firmware upgrade in case I brick the router, but if you think it will help I'll give that a try. I also have another router (a 2-wire modem/router) which I was thinking of trying. I wanted to see whether the symptoms sounded like a line fault or ISP fault first. The last bout of very low speeds was at about 1:30 a.m. when I measured, so it's unlikely to be a contention issue.

There is one DSL filter (all-in-one unit, not dangling on a wire) fitted at the master jack. All other phone sockets come off that filter, and the modem/router is connected to the DSL port of that filter.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

When it's slow on the iPad, try testing with something that's wired directly to the router to compare.

If it's not any faster, then you know the problem lies with either your modem/router or ISP.

If it is faster, then sounds like you have something interfering with your WiFi signal.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
When it's slow on the iPad, try testing with something that's wired directly to the router to compare.

If it's not any faster, then you know the problem lies with either your modem/router or ISP.

If it is faster, then sounds like you have something interfering with your WiFi signal.
That sounds like a good first test.
I'll wait till the next slow period and test from a wired desktop computer.
Closed Thread