Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Looking for a seperate modem/router configuration.

This is a discussion on Looking for a seperate modem/router configuration. within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The part of NC I live in only has two ISP's, Mediacom, and Centurylink. Both of which give us a

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AlienVibes

The part of NC I live in only has two ISP's, Mediacom, and Centurylink. Both of which give us a 2 in 1 modem/router. We had mediacom for a few months and the internet would go out several times a week, and every few weeks they had to come out to replace our modem. We've had Centurylink for about a year, and it's the same thing. We used to think maybe their service just sucks, but now we realize the 2 in 1 combos aren't worth it. The ISP won't supply a separate combo so we're on our own. We have a wireless router from a different time, just need to find a good modem. I don't know much about networking or I'd be able to find this on my own.
Our WiFi is constantly going out, and we're tired of having to wait a week to get a new modem, So this seems like the best solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Although the separate setup is better, I don't think that's your problem. One of your neighbors on TSF staff has CenturyLink and might post here. Router/Modems don't just continue to fail, one after the other. Do you use a high quality surge protector? Has the outlet been checked with a tester? Broken neutral can give surges which can ruin a Router/Modem.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloud Backup Services and Configuration Files
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have a home laptop and I want to select one of the cloud based backup services ... Mozy, SugarSync, etc.. So I have two questions: 1. Any recommendations on the best backup service? I'm looking for something that is as automatic as possible. 2. How do I backup...
simoncz Hard Drive Support 5 11-12-2014 02:58 AM
[SOLVED] Unidentified Network / Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configu
Today, I was trying to port forward on my Arris TG862G (which is a router and a modem in one, it sucks), I tried using Bridged mode to connect another to it. It worked but not how I figured or wanted it to, so I disconnected that router and plugged my ethernet cable back into the Arris...
solaphes Networking Support 2 07-10-2014 02:05 AM
SSL-VPN CONFIGURATION
Can some help please: The subject is SSL VPN (Using GNS3) I have setup an ssl vpn and his working using AAA authentication method. But have not be able to get it to work using certificate authentication method. In fact, I need some who can give me a working configuration: See here under for...
dcngibson Security and Firewalls 0 04-14-2014 04:43 AM
Microsoft Configuration Management 2012 help request.
Server 2012 standard , SQL 2012 standard and Microsoft Configuration Management 2012 was donated to my local library by Microsoft for their SMALL 22 computer network (Funny I know!). However Microsoft did not donate a tech to install. So far .. Server 2012 standard, ADDS, DNS, IIS, SQL and...
johndoe5828 Windows Servers 0 09-16-2013 08:37 AM
[SOLVED] Cannot set APN using iPhone Configuration Utility
Hello, I was unable to set the APN on my iPhone using the iPhone Configuration Utility. After creating an adequate configuration profile, I tried to install it on the iPhone, but the iPhone only displayed: "Profile Failed to Install", "Only One APN configuration can be installed at a time". ...
chrisp124 Apple iOS 4 10-03-2011 06:16 AM