Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

ISP technician came over and found 200 Mbps, I have about 50 :-/

This is a discussion on ISP technician came over and found 200 Mbps, I have about 50 :-/ within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ISP technician came over and found 200 Mbps off of both the 5G wireless (with his cell phone) and via

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

ISP technician came over and found 200 Mbps off of both the 5G wireless (with his cell phone) and via ethernet (he plugged into the pictured device from my laptop).

There were a total of 3 devices connected when he got his speedtest results

Both my wife and I are getting less than 50 Mbps on laptops and cell phones. Even if only one device is connected the results are the same.

I used speedtest.net

What gives?

https://imgur.com/gallery/hcArWrP

We have ARRIS DG1670A

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

I get 224 on my phone S5 but pc is less as not upgraded the network card to 1 gigabyte which will make it faster.

so you need to check what speed your devices can handle my phone supports 2ghz and 5ghz networks.

The device he uses tests just the speed of the of the internet without traffic as you can see his device it connect to dedicated website if you look on the image.

where your pc or laptop might have to go through a proxy maybe before you get a ping.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:34 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

ISP's only guarantee advertised speeds to the Modem only, not beyond.

Case in point, I have 100Mbps from spectrum, at the modem I get the full 100Mbs, connecting by Ethernet at the router I get 80-90 Mbs, and connecting by WiFi it runs between 25-30 Mbs.This is with 5 devices connecting to my (wireless) network, plus WiFi encryption

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Just checked my speed which is with Virgin and stated as 100Mb I get 110Mb and that's on wifi in the same room but I believe this is my norm from this isp as it has been this way from the start, I did have another isp and speeds could drop frequently not all are quite equal and hardware as mentioned can play a part.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Were you watching to see where the ISP technician was testing to? Typically, they test to a server within their own network. That will show that the network that they can actually control is providing the advertised speed and that your equipment/account are configured correctly. Speedtest.net (and all other free speed tests) are public test locations and are out in the open internet (which is why they often ask you to select a server near your location). Both are useful, but the internal test should show you the true advertised or higher speed to which you are receiving from the ISP.

Aside from that, those tests are performed when connected using ethernet (ie: connected by network cable). Are you testing using ethernet or wifi? IF wifi, then you are seeing a limitation or configuration issue with your router.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

We have 200mb and due to cat 5 cable to a room across the house it limits the connection to 100mbps. On 2 wireless laptops with wifi n we get about 50mbps throughput. Both our Amazon Fire 4k Stick and Regular Fire Stick get the full 200mbps.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

I agree, the speed you're seeing also depends on the capability device you're running.

For example, we have 100/100 Mbps FIOS and most of the stuff we have can take full advantage of it. However, one fairly old Acer laptop can only hit ~33Mbps when plugged into the same Cat6 cable that was plugged into my main Desktop which gets 100+Mbps.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

It is possible that none of your wireless devices support 802.11ac. Theoretically 802.11n can support up to 300Mbps, but even with only one device connected wirelessly and sitting on top of the router, I've only experienced 48Mbps on 802.11n. With 802.11ac, I have achieved peak speeds of nearly 4Gbps streaming and 298Mbps via Speedtest.net.
Closed Thread