Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Is this comcasts problem?

This is a discussion on Is this comcasts problem? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Since moving to a different home a few months ago, which was in the next town over (just a

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Oh! What shall I be?

My System

Hi,
Since moving to a different home a few months ago, which was in the next town over (just a few miles away) from where I was previously, the internet always seems to have time out issues, generally at night, pretty much ever day, if not ever day, a few times a day. Sometimes they don't last too long, other times they seem to last longer.
I have comcast cable internet, with my own Motorola SB6121

I check the modem signal page whenever I have an issue and it always looks like the attached picture. The logs (also attached) also seem to always show that there was a no response problem that caused the drop connection issue.

I've checked what signal levels I could through the modem and they always seem fine when I check them.
The modem is now on a direct connection to the line coming in from outside, with no other splits. I changed this about a month ago since it would first split then go to the upstairs (where the modem is) and another branch going to the down stairs (where nothing has been connected, but a lot of lines run to 4 outlets I think). This didn't change anything, still the same problem, with the same connection speed, but maybe marginally better signal strengths.

I don't have time to schedule an appointment with Comcast at the moment, so I was wondering if this was on my end, or is this a problem that comcast will have to fix?
Thank you

Edit: I noticed that the signal values are a little different when I have the dropped service, so I also uploaded a picture with the normal signal values I usually have.

Also, sorry if I missed anything, this is right before my bed time, so I'm already getting sleepy. Need to be up in about 6 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comcast cable.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	283242   Click image for larger version

Name:	comcast cable2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	283250   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal signal.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	283258  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 01:29 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopdogie187 View Post
The logs (also attached) also seem to always show that there was a no response problem that caused the drop connection issue.
Hi mate.

This is normally caused by upstream noise. The fault is either with your router, the cabling, one of your splitters or (from memory) over subscription at the upstream cmts.

Check all your internal cabling then give your ISP a call.

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Old 06-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
Oh! What shall I be?

My System

Thank you. There is no splitters right now, but there is one coaxial extension (which would be on the outside of the house).

When I know there is a less possibility of rain, I will run a temp wire just to make sure its not the wire inside the house.

I wouldn't think its the router since I had the same one before I moved, and also used it with a different modem at a different location for a month to test something before.

Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

I don't think it's your router either mate, my gut is on either cabling or over subscription, but it can be a cause so I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Oh! What shall I be?

My System

I replaced the cable from the ground point on the outside of the house to the modem. So far no problems, and everything seems a little better. Slightly better signals levels also.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Moderator - Networking

Great stuff. Let me know if you have any further problems.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
Oh! What shall I be?

My System

I still had the issue. I was kind of just living with it, especially after comcast was a little less helpful in helping me when I called them. I did have someone come out also specifically for this problem, and he didn't really do anything.
I had to call out for a different reason more recently, because the grounding point fell apart, and there was no service at all.
I asked that tech about my issue and he quickly replaced the drop line from the pole.
While another worker was at the pole (pole is across the street from the house), he discovered there was another problem at the pole.
Since they left, I haven't had another issue.
Closed Thread