Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Is AT&T screwing me over?

This is a discussion on Is AT&T screwing me over? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm out in the country and AT&T has a monopoly for "High speed internet" DSL in our area, so I

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm out in the country and AT&T has a monopoly for "High speed internet" DSL in our area, so I can't threaten to leave. We pay for 5 Mbps download speed but for the past month I have been getting speeds very routinely (everyday between 10:30a.m.-2 p.m.) in the .15-.35 MBps (Yes those decimals are supposed to be there). Needless to say, I haven't been happy. I've had technical support out twice, the first time someone came they said there was a problem with the wiring as it entered my house. Since i have wire insurance they fixed it for free, but it didn't fix the problem. Second time they said that there was a problem with my modem and that they couldn't do anything until I bought a new modem. However, my gut says that there is too much of a pattern for it to be my modem. Why would a modem drop from regular speeds through most of the day to slow speeds only at certain times? So I started doing a little research and believe most of my problems have to do with the Latency (whenever I have slow internet the latency is is <400ms during speed tests which is crazy). So I started doing Tracerts to ping down my issues. Can someone look at these abnormal tracerts and tell me I'm not crazy? Or could this really be my modem? (images are attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	311177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	311185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Haven't they try to sell you UVerse yet? The answer to your title is yes.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

'System load' although there's another term for it. Somebody or something or several somebodys are increasing demand on the line during that period. How many people live on your road? Do you know where the nearest DSLAM (terminal box) is located? How far are you from it? Do you know if it's fed by fiber or copper?

Usually happens in the evening when people get home from work and start streaming video programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Haven't they try to sell you UVerse yet? The answer to your title is yes.
Uverse isn't available in my area.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
'System load' although there's another term for it. Somebody or something or several somebodys are increasing demand on the line during that period. How many people live on your road? Do you know where the nearest DSLAM (terminal box) is located? How far are you from it? Do you know if it's fed by fiber or copper?

Usually happens in the evening when people get home from work and start streaming video programming.

There's about 20 houses on my road. No idea about where the DSLAM box is located or its proximity to our house, is this something they would tell me if I asked? And Iím sure itís copper. Like I said, itís a rural area (as in, it had Dial-Up until 2009) so Iím sure it doesnít get the best of the best since weíre probably low priority for them. If this is a problem with AT&Ts service how do I prove it?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissed_Off_ View Post
is this something they would tell me if I asked?

And Iím sure itís copper. Like I said, itís a rural area

Maybe if you asked a field tech if you see one working in the area. It's most likely mounted to or near a pole within a mile or two from your house. There may be more than one box. Might be light green, tan or gray.

There are less than 10 houses on my three miles of road. Our TelCo came through a year or so ago and installed about 20-30 new DSLAMs spaced about 2 miles apart. All new Fiber was installed to feed those boxes, but from there to the houses is old copper. My current service is rated at 25Mb, though I rarely get that on speed tests.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissed_Off_ View Post

If this is a problem with AT&Ts service how do I prove it?
Same problem with a new modem.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Best way to find out if it is their [ATT] issue is to poll your neighbors and determine if they have the same issue. Likely there are one or more users on the same drop as yourself who is pulling some heavy bandwidth and "swamping the connection."

Again in answer to your title "it's more than likely!"

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 08-05-2017, 04:30 AM   #9
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Won't help with your problem, but if you check the package speed, in the fine print it very likely states "up to 5MB".

Closed Thread