Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

internet speed

This is a discussion on internet speed within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I chose an internet plan of 2Gbytes per second. The internet provider placed a Motorola SBG6580. I understood that the

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

I chose an internet plan of 2Gbytes per second. The internet provider placed a Motorola SBG6580.

I understood that the modem have the wireless speed at about 300 Mbps and each ethernet 1 Gbps.

We have notice that the speed seems to go down. My online class session jumped out last night. Just being on this site typing is very slow. Checking speed using the app "speedtest" the wireless has a speed of around 2.19 mbps download or upload. The ethernet is at 120 mbps.

Is it that the modem is dysfunctional? Or that the internet provider needs to configure differently the modem? Does it make sense to have a 2Gbps plan for such speed?

Much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

From reading some reviews about this modem it seems to have a poor wifi signal, others have had the same issues as you.

you can buy another modem, see if this fixes the issue.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

never heard of selling/providing 2gig per second. 2gig of data per month is the usual way bandwidth is sold in a restricted arena.

unfortunately that has nothing to do with your Down and Up rates. That would look more like 20/2 or 50/5 as broad examples. In your case it appears to be 2/2 which is incredibly low.

Talk to your isp and ask them what Down and up rates you can expect/are paying for. let us know what you find out.

sig: modems are not routers
Modems modulate and demodulate signals but do not do NAT which routers so...Internet quit calling routers modems! They aren't the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

This is what his ISP offers: Belize is not Europe or USA.
512 kbps Most common speed used in homes include sites with less graphics and flash interfaces. If connection is dedicated to one computer then it would be suitable for music and video streaming(SD RES 480p or lower). Speed can be used on Wi-Fi depending on amount of devices connected to Wi-Fi, network connection speed will vary on each device.
1 meg Becoming more popular as a standard speed for home use. Appropriate for website viewing, streaming and some online gaming.Recommended for Wi-Fi connection with about 4 mobile devices connected simultaneously.
2 meg This and faster speeds are more suitable for people who play a lot of demanding online games. It is also suitable for persons who share one internet connection between many PCs. Wi-Fi connects up to 8 devices simultaneously before seeing any major drop in connection speeds. Video streaming is more stable on this connection as well as file downloads.
3 meg
4 meg More speed and stability in network connection, recommended for homes with heavy gaming, online streaming(Netflix, HULU, Apple Tv etc.)as well as your regular internet users for social media, research and downloading. Also recommended for small business/offices for your daily work internet usage.
5 meg
8 meg As with 4 & 5 megs connections your network capability doubles and allows you to increase your home/office connectivity giving you optimum performance and network stability to supply all your connection needs.
10 meg
16 meg As with 8 & 10 megs connections your network capability doubles and allows you to increase your home/office connectivity giving you optimum performance and network stability to supply all your connection needs.
20 meg

THey also offer higher speeds at astronomical rates.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #5
Troubled

Nowadays, the telecom companies are replacing the old copper wires with fiber optic cable that support faster data transmission for faster internet speed. Optical fiber cable is used as the backbone of network infrastructure to meet the rising demands of bandwidth.

Fibre to the home (FTTH), Fibre to the antenna (FTTA), and Fibre to the building (FTTB) applications are factors because of which the demand of OFC is rising. Quality optical fiber products are designed for bandwidth speed up to 100mbps. Watching HD TV, faster games, faster downloads, uninterrupted downloads, making jobs easy to work from home are some benefits of OFC. After getting the fibre cable connection your home will become so intelligent that you will wonder how you lived without it for so long.
Closed Thread