Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Internet service problem

This is a discussion on Internet service problem within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, if I am in the wrong area of the forum, please move me to toe proper area. last Friday

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
C84
Troubled

Hi, if I am in the wrong area of the forum, please move me to toe proper area. last Friday or Thursday a man came to my apt door who was from atnt according to my landlord. He told me that my internet connection was slower then the connection that he was offering and that my internet connection was not private, that it was a shared internet connection as well as a share bill. He offered me the internet service he was talking about for 50$ witch is less then what I pay for my internet now witch is 63$ a month with spectrum(my current internet service). I thought I had a private internet connection and that I was the only one paying the bill(63$ a month). Because he told me that my internet was not a private internet connection/service or shared internet connection, I am concerned about privacy as I don't want anyone or my neighbors spying, being nosey or seeing what's on my laptop and seeing where I go to on the internet or seeing websites that I visit. Is this true, do I have a non private internet connection and if so how can I make it private? could I perhaps purchase a alternative internet service that provides a private internet connection if there is no way to make it private without having to pay for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

AT&T will give you exactly the same security as what Spectrum is giving you. If your apartment building shares a common "receiver", it's immaterial as long as you have proper security on your unit (AV, Firewall, MBAM and PWs). Door to door salesmen are only out for commissions and that's the legit ones.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
C84
Troubled

I have a firewall but I am not sure about a AV, MBAM and PWs, what are those and where are they located on my laptop to see if my laptop has them or not? what is a receiver? and how or where can I find out if my apt building shares a common receiver or not/something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

On the receiver. ask the landlord. AV is Anti Virus. MBAM is MalwareBytes. PWs are passwords. You should use one for signing into Windows. BTW, in your TSF Profile, change the Operating System to Windows 10 64 bit.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
C84
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
On the receiver. ask the landlord. AV is Anti Virus. MBAM is MalwareBytes. PWs are passwords. You should use one for signing into Windows. BTW, in your TSF Profile, change the Operating System to Windows 10 64 bit.
I have discovered that I have a antivirus and firewall, both windows. I cannot locate a Malwarebytes anywhere on my laptop. where is the Malwarebytes located or where would I find it at on my laptop? where if my TSF profile located? what sort of passwords are you talking about? I do have a password already for entering into my laptop desktop or signing into it if that is what you mean by signing into windows.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Malwarebytes is a free download, https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Corday was referring to the password for getting into windows, so you're good there.

The Control Panel is located here;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	320788  

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

What is your Antivirus as the Antivirus built into Windows, Windows Defender, is way better than any added Antivirus program?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
C84
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
What is your Antivirus as the Antivirus built into Windows, Windows Defender, is way better than any added Antivirus program?
Sorry, I have no clue if its better but yes its windows defender

@Everyone else or anyone. where is my TSF profile located in my laptop?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Its not on your laptop, its right here in the forums.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Select USER CP. It's actually in the Details. Not in the Options shown in Post #9

Old 07-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong page.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Closed Thread