Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Internet Becoming Very Slow at Random Times During the Day

This is a discussion on Internet Becoming Very Slow at Random Times During the Day within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently my Xbox One had these horrible lag spikes and I thought our cheap router was the issue so I

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Recently my Xbox One had these horrible lag spikes and I thought our cheap router was the issue so I got a much better router (TP‑LINK Archer C7). It actually has helped a lot! I'm experiencing a smoother experience. However, lately this odd problem is occurring primarily on my computer with these random slow internet spikes during the day. I know it's not just my computer because I live with my family (total of 4 laptops) and it happens to them too. I also own a bunch of consoles that may or may not be connecting to the internet without my knowledge (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, and others).

I really can't pinpoint what the issue is... I don't know if we have too many devices connected and not enough bandwidth, something wrong with the new router, our modem, or what. This has been going on for about a week or so. It didn't start immediately after we got our new router which is why I'm wondering whether it's the problem or not. I believe we have the Time Warner Turbo plan because my internet speed test shows a download speed of 16.31 Mbps and upload speed of 1.21 Mbps. Not sure what other information I can provide. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

When are you experiencing these lag spikes? Is it better if nobody, but you use the internet?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

When are you experiencing these lag spikes? Is it better if nobody, but you use the internet?
Thank you! Honestly, it's any time of the day when I notice the internet loading really slow. I guess if there was a time when I know for sure it happens it's at night? One time my dad unplugged the router and plugged it back in and it was being fast for awhile. Same thing happened when I changed some settings and rebooted the router so it's possible the router is part of the issue.
Closed Thread