Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Ideas for office backup internet

This is a discussion on Ideas for office backup internet within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I'm trying to put together a fool-proof plan (if there is such a thing!) to keep our remote

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, I'm trying to put together a fool-proof plan (if there is such a thing!) to keep our remote offices going if the main internet goes down.

Current setup is a draytek router hooked up to a standard ADSL line which then has a LAN to LAN VPN connection back to our head office for various services. Network is 192.168.2.x

My thought is to get a completely separate ADSL line connected to a different Draytek router which just sits there waiting to be a hero.

My instructions need to be very clear for our office staff and I would simply like to say to them > "If your internet goes down then simply move the Network cables from the LAN sockets on Draytek 1 into the LAN sockets on Draytek 2"

Simple enough I would think. Problem is that to create a VPN tunnel from our head office IP (lets say its 80.x.x.x) to our remote office, it needs to call the IP address. Of course when they switch over the cables, they will get internet access back but the VPN won't work because our head office router is still calling the (now failed) internet connection IP.

Of course, all this requires is for me to log into the draytek at head office and update the IP address that it is calling. My problem is about when I'm not available (I'm the only IT person in the company). I'd prefer not to have to rely on giving instructions to non-IT staff at head office on how to fix the VPN link when needed.

At the moment that is all I am left with but I just wondered if anyone knew of a better way to make this VPN connection work when the staff are now using the backup draytek.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The better (and easier for the staff) solution would be to upgrade/replace the router. Then connect both ADSL lines to the new router. When the primary fails, the router will reroute over the secondary path.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Moderator - Networking

Another way of doing this would be to buy two more routers. So you have two wan routers, one for each ISP, which will provide redundancy for your router. The additional router would be sat behind those and doing the routing for your network and also terminating your VPN.

Set a secondary default route, so you have redundancy to both gateways. You would also need a secondary route on your head office router. No need for staff to touch things then.

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You have to be careful when considering layer 1 & 3 redundancy.
You can't have just two different carriers. You need that and different types of media [dsl, cable, EoF...]

Quick story: we had redundant T1 wan links and had paid a lot in monthly costs for such. A local auto dealer burned down. It took the local unoccupied terminus center with it. And both of our links.. I would be the same if a CO [central office] had a power outage.

Best way I have found to have redundancy is paying the ISP for it. Then keep a same router on a shelf with the present config loaded and you are either ready for a phone call or a drive for a hardware replacement.

Another consideration is to have the same dual wan port routers and each site and configure them for vpn failover. Sonicwall would be my consideration. Talk to the product provider for more info.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

I agree with Mitchconner otherwise how will you provide the VPN failover.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Moderator - Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleArrow View Post
You can't have just two different carriers. You need that and different types of media [dsl, cable, EoF...]
That's incorrect.

There's nothing wrong with having two different carriers provide the same circuit type, just as long as they terminate in different exchanges to offer true redundancy.

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Closed Thread