Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Hughes Alternative Creative 4 Speed

This is a discussion on Hughes Alternative Creative 4 Speed within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We live 6 miles into Angeles National Forest. No cell bars, No DSL on phone, No cable. Directv & Hughes

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

We live 6 miles into Angeles National Forest. No cell bars, No DSL on phone, No cable. Directv & Hughes for Internet.
It's killing me it's so slow.
Have fast laptop, Router & Extender, still deathly slow.
IF YOU WERE ME, would you be able to figure out a way to get faster internet?

Can't watch youtube w/o very long waits, often give up.
We have second fastest plan at $100mth. 15GB They still say we use up everything in 10-12 days, which is impossible, we are careful, but so depressing-have to buy tokens...
Can't use features on Directv; such as can't go back even when the arrows are there, buffers and stops.
Download show takes all day or 3 days for 30minute or not at all.
Forget a movie. Can't use any of streaming features.
I'm up for any wild or maybe even simple ideas to get faster internet.
Would love to have live cam for wildlife-birds(in perfect world)
Wrote to Google w no response asking for their balloon they are trying out in India for high speed.
We are at 2000' and 5000'mountain blocks cells.
Less than 1000sqft gov house
LENOVO YOGA WINDOWS 10
ASUS ROUTER RT_AC68U
ASUS EXTENDER RP_AC68U
Hughes Download test 3.33mb/s 40min download 1gb
Tmobile phones - connect to Wi-Fi for internet & texting.
Too slow to make calls. Would love to make phone calls.

Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'd be looking in to Satellite Internet, at least where I am it is a reasonable price for remote locations and usually the only option unless cell phone towers can be installed by local councils as repeaters.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I would forget the extender. It only adds lag. 3.3mbps is nothing. That connection is good for email but not much else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

video burns up a lot of bandwidth.
If you live in the boonies (like I do), satellite is the only option. The big drawback is the lag, for me average ping is 650ms, it's just the way satellite operates, for the distance your signal travels, it's actually pretty fast.
If you're getting much more than that you may need to relocate or raise your dish and make sure that there is absolutely nothing in the way.
Another thing to do is restart your router on a regular basis.
To reduce hitting your cap, if you have a 'free time' in your package, set everything to update after midnight or if it can't be scheduled, turn off updates. then check for updates after midnight etc. If you download a lot, there's a scheduler add-on for FF that can set a download to start when you want.

The reason I disliked using W10, it's a data hog, it would burn through my data plan a week and a half before 7 does. There are several settings that can be tweaked/adjusted to reduce it's usage, but I don't remember them all.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you all for responding. It was worth the ask just to know for certain I am doing all possible. I will check out how to tweak Win10. Otherwise, I'll just bear with it. Much appreciated.
Closed Thread