Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

How to connect to laptop with wifi and vpn

This is a discussion on How to connect to laptop with wifi and vpn within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I have started a job where I am for the first time having a laptop to be able to

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

So I have started a job where I am for the first time having a laptop to be able to work from home occasionally. My IT Dept walked me through connecting to our secure Wifi network and how to use the RSA token to connect via VPN. We did this while at work where the laptop was not connected to internet via ethernet...it was just connected to the docking station. When I got off the phone, I went through the steps to ensure I documented the instructions correctly and was successful.

I take my laptop with power cord home and left docking station at work. I log on regularly and then try to connect to the secure Wifi network provided and I keep getting the message that Wifi was unable to connect. I have logged off, shut down, unplugged and waiting a couple of minutes and tried again...no luck.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Does the docking station have something in it that I need to be able to connect to Wifi?

Please help this incredibly ignorant one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The docking station has nothing to do with wifi. But if you are at home, then you are connecting to your personal wifi. In which case, any login information will be what you created for your home network (not your work password nor the VPN information).

You will connect to your home wifi, and then start the VPN client to connect to work.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
segregate wifi users from accessing ethernet on the same network
Hi, I have a setup in a restaurant. I'm connecting several screens with Ethernet cables and connecting them via vpn to a remote office (HQ) for controlling the contents of the screens, the vpn connection is working and HQ admin can monitor and control the screens, BUT: In the same time the...
awisaka Protocols and Routing 1 02-10-2016 09:12 AM
vpn using wifi network
Hello, I have a laptop with w7 pro, with which I can connect to work using vpn, either using lan or wifi, from anywhere I want. I also installed a laptop with w8.1, with vpn installed the same as with w7. Using lan, I can connect to the network at work and do all I want to do, but using wifi...
kbartelds Windows 8, 8.1 Support 0 11-03-2014 12:55 PM
How can i use vpn to get unblocked internet on other wifi networks
Hey My school has wifi that you need to sign in to access. Although this is great alot of websites are blocked. So I was wondering if it would be possible to create a vpn network on my home modem and then connect to it at school to access unblocked internet. Thx
bradmanwalden Networking Support 1 07-23-2014 08:01 AM
Avast notifies unsecured wifi. Need to setup a VPN
My friend has got a new job at a hotel. And the avast on her laptop notified her the wifi is not secure. Though to connect as she stated, it redirects her to a webpage where she can put username and pw and then it connects. Seems like he hotel has own server or something. But the 'unsecured'...
Gdn8Melbourne Networking Support 7 06-23-2014 02:00 PM
Unable to connect to VPN
Hi, I'm used to connect to some VPN and I never had any problem. But for some reason, I'm now unable to connect to any VPN with any connexion type. I tried both PPTP and LPTP. (LPTP gives me a 789 error code) I tried different connexion point such as free wifi, home network, work network....
Masadow Networking Support 10 11-01-2013 06:48 PM