Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

How to? - Aggregating, Bonding, Bridging, Load Balancing 2 internet connections?

This is a discussion on How to? - Aggregating, Bonding, Bridging, Load Balancing 2 internet connections? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to achieve one specific thing, but there is too much misleading info out there re the above terminologies

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I want to achieve one specific thing, but there is too much misleading info out there re the above terminologies and their capabilities.

Can an ISP supply 2 lines/connections to my property, which will have the same IP address? (I believe I need this?)

I want to order TWO Fibre (30Mbps down/15Mbps up) connections from my ISP, and hardware connect these to give me ONE 60/30 connection.

I don't want failover, I just want to give my NAS a faster (30Mbps) upload speed when accessing my Synology NAS over the internet.

Is there someone out there who can tell me what I need to do this?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

"Can an ISP supply 2 lines/connections to my property, which will have the same IP address? (I believe I need this?)"

Each will have its own ip address and you don't need a static ip if using a dynamic dns service.

You never ever get full aggregation from my experience but more is better. I don't believe inbound to your lan requests will be load balanced. It will use one or the other wan connection.

You need a dual wan port router that supports the feature set you want.

Better yet would be to talk to your isp and see if they can do the bonding at their end and only deliver one line to you with the bandwidth you want
Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Fiber bonding routers exist,, though they're certainly not common at the consumer level in the US. If the same ISP supplies both lines and does the bonding you can even get close to the combined theoretical maximum throughput. If you roll your own, any single PTP link will cap out at the highest single line rate. Maximum throughput would only occur when the number of connections equaled or exceeded the number of bonded lines.

A dual WAN router is not the answer here, as it accomplishes a completely different task.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I have seen it done both ways. We did the bonding ourselves at the router level and we had a different connection that that isp bonded.

Yes you can do your own bonding with a dual wan port router. Just like they used to do with modems called "shotgunning".
Old 11-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv0
I want to order TWO Fibre (30Mbps down/15Mbps up) connections from my ISP, and hardware connect these to give me ONE 60/30 connection.

I don't want failover, I just want to give my NAS a faster (30Mbps) upload speed when accessing my Synology NAS over the internet.
Unless it's a bonding router, it's only providing failover and/or load balancing. This does not solve the problem. That's why I specified exactly what each method accomplishes, because they are not the same thing.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

We bonded not configured for failover.

Simple question: ask the isp if you can bond the links and if so what equipment do they recommend.
Closed Thread