Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

How can I check who is logged on to my wi-fi network

This is a discussion on How can I check who is logged on to my wi-fi network within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I will be changing my broadband provider shortly and will be using a HUB 3.0 (Modem-wireless router). Is there any

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I will be changing my broadband provider shortly and will be using a HUB 3.0 (Modem-wireless router).

Is there any way that I can check how many users are connected (password protected) to the network. It's in a holiday home and I want to be sure that the password has not been cracked).

I'm not sure if this is a generic thing or specific to the make/model of router.

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

There are paid 3rd party apps for this. I can't make a recommendation. Hopefully someone has used one and will report here.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Corday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You could simply log into the router and look.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks JimE

I would have absolutely no clue as to where to look or, more importantly, what to look for. Hence me search for assistance.

If there is a way to do this, I would also be looking for instructions of how to "kill" a user and block them (should I fin dsomeone who is not authorised to use the network).

T
Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Assuming you are onsite/local, you simply go to the router (typically by typing the router IP into your browser) and then login using the user name and password that you created when you set it up. From there it varies based on the model. But there is always a page that shows all connected users (wired and wifi). You can typically just right click and delete, which removes the user, but that isn't going to do much if they have the login information. The easiest solution is to simply change the login and password frequently and use complex passwords.

If you want to spend the time blocking users, you will need to take note of their mac address and you can then prevent that device from connecting. But again, if they know the login/password, they could simply reconnect with another device or if it's a PC, spoof their mac.

EDIT: I will also add that as this is an ISP supplied device, your access and ability to configure or change anything is likely very restricted. So again, you best bet is to simply change and use complex passwords.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Hi JimE

Thanks for the update. I'll try that next time I'm in the property.

T
Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

If it's password protected and using the WPA2 with TKIP/AES set......then the only ones connected should be the ones with the password. If not then the password has been given out.

Depending on modem/router brand....you enter the modem/router page by typing in 192.168.x.x - x = either a 0 - 1 or 1 - 0 in your browser. You can look that up. Then you go to the security settings tab and check your settings as noted above. Then you go to the wireless tab and look for IP address connections.

you can use the cmd prompt as well....open cmd prompt and type in ipconfig and that will list your routers ip address, then type that in your browser.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks bassfisher6522

T
Closed Thread