Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

High speed connection but no wifi, please help!

This is a discussion on High speed connection but no wifi, please help! within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all! I am next to my router and the wifi is not working. I have a windows 7 and

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all!
I am next to my router and the wifi is not working. I have a windows 7 and my IT knowledge is limited but I can follow instructions.

My story:
-My connection was very poor so I changed the password.
-I got the message: "Limited Acces" even if the signal was Excellent.
- I managed to solve this problem with some tutorials.
- Now it says " connected" but still I have no wifi connection. With the cable it works.
- I search in this forum and download the Xirrus Wifi inspector as somebody recommended. Attached my results.

Could somebody help me further?
Thank you very very much!

Maria
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sin xirrus maria.png
Views:	35
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	296890  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 03:29 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you tried rebooting your wireless router? Either press on the on/off switch on the device, or simply pull the power cord on it for about 15 seconds then power back on.

Can you run an ipconfig /all command in a command prompt window. Press on the Windows logo key and R key at the same time. This will bring up a Run window. type in cmd.exe and this will bring up the command prompt window. Type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. What we are looking for is to make sure all your TCP/IP settings are correct and that you are getting an IP, Subnet Mask, and most importantly Default Gateway (DG) for your Wireless card. Copy and paste this requested info and post on this thread. If you have the correct TCP/IP settings, then I would follow on to below recommendations. If no IP address is listed for DG, then your Wi-Fi card is not getting an IP from your Wireless Router's DHCP.

It may sound silly but make sure your Wi-Fi adapter is turned on. Sometimes this can be a easy oversight. Either via a toggle switch on the side of the laptop, or via a combination of the Fn + one of the F1-F12 keys. Usually one of them will have a symbol showing what resembles antennas or Wi-Fi signal. I would toggle between on and off just to make sure.

You could have a driver (software) issue so lets make sure that in Device Manager there are no yellow exclamation points on any of the listed devices, primarily under Network Adapters. If so, specially on the Wi-Fi adapter, you want to download/update the driver for said adapter from the manufacturer of your laptop. If no yellow exclamation point, I would still update the driver.

Then, I would go into Network Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks. Here you will have listed all the Wi-Fi networks you've previously connected to. Remove all of them. This will allow you to start off with a clean sleigh.

Then, scan for available Wi-Fi networks and try to connect again to your Wi-Fi network SSID, making sure to enter the password carefully and correctly. Check for CapsLock/NumLock.

Another thing that can be a possibly is that your Wi-Fi adapter antenna cables can be loose and not making a good connection. Rare but it could be. This could have to do with you being next to the router but yet having a poor connection. You can never rule this out as maybe, just maybe, it can be one of the issues. When troubleshooting a problem, you want to remove all possibilities from the equation.

Also, when trying to connect via Wi-Fi, make sure that the Ethernet cable is not connected to the laptop. If connected, it will take priority over the Wi-Fi adapter thereby not allowing you to connect to Wi-Fi as both cannot be connected at the same time.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Looking at your Xirrus screen capture, you might be connecting to the "Ziggo" access point. Get into your Router and change the wireless channel to 6 see if you connect to the internet.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Closed Thread