Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Help with weak wifi

This is a discussion on Help with weak wifi within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My girlfriend recently moved into a studio apartment in a very old (over 150 years) house that was converted into

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

My girlfriend recently moved into a studio apartment in a very old (over 150 years) house that was converted into apartment space. The landlord told us there were two wifi routers, and to use whichever one gave us the best signal, as that would be the one closest to us. We have no problem connection to the internet, and it covers the whole studio, it is just very slow. Like Netflix takes forever to even load and an amazon fire stick buffers every few minutes. She got a wifi range extender, and that helped but it is still pretty bad. Is there any way/device we can get that will strengthen the wifi signal? We are not interested in extending the range, just strengthen the signal. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like a saturated internet connection but how about posting a speedtest.net test from the best location for review
Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, we ran a test and the results were: Ping 26ms; Download Speed 7.79 mbps; and Upload Speed 10.62 mbps. Not sure if these are good or bad results for the situation we are in but those are the results. Thanks!
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removed laptop screen and now have a very weak wifi signal
Ok so in hindsight this probably wasn't a great thing to do before first researching a little. For a month or so I was using my laptop with a broken screen and connecting it to my TV with a HDMI cable when I had to use it, eventually it became too frustrating to connect it each time so I removed...
TheCyborg Cabling and Network Cards 7 02-12-2013 02:13 PM
external adapter can connect to wifi but laptop can't
Hi supporters, I've been having a problem with my wifi for a month or so. I used to connect well to my wifi, but then one day my laptop just can't connect to it anymore. It says "windows was unable to connect to..." or something similar to that. But what's strange is, I have an external wifi...
darklordnd Networking Support 4 05-04-2012 07:17 AM
Limited connectivity MS virtual WiFi miniport adapter
I have created a virtual WiFi hotspot in win 7 laptop with following commands. netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=wii key=abcd1234 Now there is a 'Wireless Network Connection 2'(MS virtual WiFi miniport adapter) in my network connections. netsh wlan start hostednetwork WiFi hotspot...
ip2op01 Networking Support 2 12-30-2011 03:34 AM
Laptop wifi, have to keep reseating card?!?!
I had to send my HPg61 laptop in to check out a heat issue a few months ago. When it came back, I got a headphone jack issue (now resolved) and a Wi-Fi problem - I used to have great wifi from my bedroom to my parent's study which is where the modem is, even when I did have the heat issue, but...
Ruki Networking Support 1 07-27-2011 01:45 PM