Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Help understand strange transient modem behavior/internet outages

This is a discussion on Help understand strange transient modem behavior/internet outages within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've been having issues with my cable internet, and I really hope someone can help me get a read

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I've been having issues with my cable internet, and I really hope someone can help me get a read on what the problem most likely is.

The issue is transient, and I'm worried that the tech will say "everything's fine" and do nothing... at which point I'll get charged for a nonissue visit, and things will remain broken...

Anyway, the symptom I'm seeing is: Randomly (sometimes several times in a row, sometimes just once during the day), my internet connection will die.

The following happens if I'm looking at my Modem status and logs during one of those outages:

1) Logs show lots of "T3 Timeout - No Ranging Response received" and "Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing"
2) Upstream channel status shows the channels dying one at a time (going from Success to "Continue", and eventually "Aborted") (and power levels going from the 44-46 range, to more like 51dBmV)
3) My Arris SB6141 would then Reboot itself

After no results talking to Cable tech support, I assumed my modem was dying (or had a bad power supply), and figured it was time to upgrade anyway after like 4 years. Here are the results:

* NETGEAR CM700-1AZNAS: It wouldn't even register (receive/send lights solid, internet light blinking, and it just always timed out on range response).
* Arris SB6190: This one connects, and seems more resilient... I STILL see the same issue I laid out above, BUT this one seems to recover the channels without a reboot.

So, after seeing the results, I have to assume there's an issue with my ISP.

My questions:

1) What could be the problem???
2) If I get a tech to come out, what should be my checklist of things to ensure s/he actually looks at, in additional to the default?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Have a tech come out, and check connections, and splitters. Could be bad coax, or splitter(s).

Here is a basic guideline, on signal levels.
https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-...idered-good-78

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Closed Thread