Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Having problems connecting a router

This is a discussion on Having problems connecting a router within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay so im on my laptop and it has windows xp, I was over at my moms house and i

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows Vista (desktop) Windows xp (Laptop service pack 5)

Okay so im on my laptop and it has windows xp, I was over at my moms house and i was connecting to The wireless internet just fine everywhere, WHen i finally got home i went to connect to my own wireless (Which my xbox an desktop computer connect to flawlessly) SO i Type in my network key (the same one i used for my xbox and desktop...lol obviously :P) and for some reason it sits there connecting connecting connecting than just boots me back to the list of wireless networks, Dosent give me a reason for not connecting. Gives me no information what so ever, Im on this laptop right now Using an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet but it's really aggravating me, Im pretty damn savy with computers but Without a reason for it not connecting i cant troubleshoot the problem myself, Anyone ever had any experience with this? Can help me out? I am STUMPED!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You could try going into Network and Sharing Center/Manage wireless settings and Remove the SSIDs - reboot then try to reconnect via the system tray.

If that doesn't do it then as an administrator from the cmd prompt type then Enter each of these cmds -

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns

Reboot.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

Tried all of that now it wont even find the wireless networks. but the ethernet is working...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Probably best to factory reset the router then.

I've always found it's best to remove the SSID from the registry prior to doing this with the router and then you don't get SSID2.

To do this - from Start type regedit > Enter > Yes on the UAC then navigate -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/NetworkList/Profiles

There should be two entries for yours and one for your mom's SSID and clicking on each will produce their info in the right pane.

One of them will be listed as Network which is your LAN.

Right click on each of those for the SSIDs and select Delete then do the same for the corresponding ones in Signatures/Unmanaged below the Profiles folder.

You can leave the one for Network.

If you wish, you can back up the Profiles and Signatures folders first via File/Export, naming them so you can ID which is which.

Close the registry sections back up then File/Exit and switch the pc off then factory reset the router, by holding in something like an opened paperclip into the small hole on the back of the router for about 20 secs.

When it has reinitialized, wire up and switch the computer back on and set the router up as out of the box with your ISP's details.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Im not going to factory reset the router, My desktop computer, Xbox, My sister in laws desktop computer Can all connect to this router flawlessly, The router is not the problem.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Game Team Tech

have you thought of buying a wireless usb router for the latptop if this one is not working?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Networking Team Emeritus

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Please verify that all your Network Services are Started.
Click on Start, type services.msc then press enter.

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser is set to manual
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• Wired Autoconfig is set to manual(wired ethernet connections only).
• Wireless Zero Configuration ( XP wireless configurations only)
• WLAN AutoConfig ( Vista/7 wireless configurations only)
• Workstation
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
TSF Emeritus

please download and run xirrus wifi inspector. Post a screen shot of what it sees.
review the networking section in Device managers. No yellow exclaimation points?

Are you still able to connect to other wifi networks outside of your house?
Closed Thread