Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Ethernet Cable Mix n' Match

This is a discussion on Ethernet Cable Mix n' Match within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I'll just explaining this as quick as possible, and the frustration it brings me. I just brought my computer

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I'll just explaining this as quick as possible, and the frustration it brings me.

I just brought my computer back to the family home for the summer.

Say I have Ethernet Cable A (3 ft.) and Ethernet Cable B (100 ft.)

Mom's Computer: Recognizes Ethernet Cable A and both B and provides immediate internet.

My Computer: Only Ethernet Cable A provides immediate internet. When Ethernet Cable B plugs in: "Unidentified Network: -> No Internet Access" as well as with troubleshooting "Local Area Connection: Doesn't have a valid ip configuration".

Do ethernets have certain memory capabilities or how is this even possible? I know that ethernet's have different models but both Cable A and B worked on my computer last summer.

The reason I can't just use Cable A is that I need the length of cable B.

Hopefully this is some simple fix. I would really appreciate any insight or wisdom you guys have to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Post the output of ipconfig /all using both Ethernet A, then Ethernet B also try to ping your router using Ethernet B, could be a bad end on Ethernet B.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Since the cable works on one machine and not another, it's likely that the network interface on the machine that's not working is pickier about the quality of the connection. Likely the cable wasn't terminated properly on one or both ends, so the pickier NIC is not able to negotiate a connection.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
split ethernet cable, one to comp, one to wifi router
I have only one computer right now. Had two, and got very weak signal to laptop (since discarded) upstairs from Linksys g 54Mbits downstairs at main desktop computer desktop. I have tried three different kinds of 54Mbits wifi routers, all with no success. I'm going to get my wife a new wifi...
Roger33 Networking Support 7 12-14-2011 06:24 PM
[SOLVED] PC doesn't stay in Standby Mode since using an ethernet cable
My HP Pavilion a1210n doesn't stay in standby mode for more than 10 seconds. It worked fine but since I moved residences there's only two things different about my setup: (1) I have a compact DELL flat screen display instead of a big CRT and (2) the internet connection is an ethernet cable...
words Windows XP Support 3 12-10-2011 03:49 PM
Getting no ethernet cable connected even though network card works
I can't get my network card to work when plugged into the modem. The computer detects it and all but I can't get it to detect the lan cable, and the card doesn't light up. At first I thought maybe the cord port was jacked but I was messing around with it and at one point my laptop and the...
LaymanX Networking Support 16 06-21-2011 02:12 PM
Incomplete XP sp3 Ethernet Boot-Up
PC Hardware Troubleshooting - Ethernet Network Interface Initialization Problems Hardware: A 6-year old Gateway 825 GM Desktop Computer - Windows XP MCE 2005 SP3 - Phoenix BIOS - Built-in Marvel Yukon 88 E 8050 Gigabit Ethernet - Hard wired with an Ethernet cable to a D-Link DIR 825 V 1.01 Router...
emg-gwy Other Hardware Support 2 01-15-2011 08:35 PM
Ethernet Cable Splitting
I want to connect a blu-ray player, a desktop, and an xbox 360 to my router (Linksys WRT-610N) with an ethernet cat5e cable. My question is how to connect all three of these devices to my router. I know that I could just use three separate ethernet cables for each device, but I really don't want...
tayexdrums Networking Support 8 12-31-2010 07:27 PM