Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Dual-Band Router Problems

This is a discussion on Dual-Band Router Problems within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been having problems with a router I've been using for a year. I moved to a new apartment and

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been having problems with a router I've been using for a year. I moved to a new apartment and have a new modem (it should be identical to the previous modem) in case either of those would affect anything.

My router: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My laptop: https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JM/

Laptop OS: Windows 10

My printer: https://files.support.epson.com/doci...013/index.html (4730)

The router has a 5 GHz band and a 2.4 GHz band. The problem is that with many devices, one shows up and not the other, or they both show up and I'm only able to connect to one.

My Android phone (Motorola Moto Z Play Droid) can connect to either one just fine. I can very quickly switch between both bands.

My laptop often only sees the 5 GHz band. It can sometimes connect to the 2.4 GHz band, but the connection seems unstable. About an hour ago, I tried connecting, and it said "no internet, secured." Now it's not showing up at all.

The printer can only see and connect to the 2.4 GHz band. I tried manually connecting to the 5 GHz band by name, and it didn't work.

Last night I was able to print without any problems with my laptop on the 2.4 GHz band. However, now that my laptop can't connect to it, I can't print anything.

Both bands have "enable SSID broadcast on."

As far as placement, the router and laptop are about 8 feet apart. The router is partly behind a wall, and there's an open door between the router and laptop. My internet seems fine on the 5 GHz band. The printer is on the same table as the laptop, about 1-2 feet away. My phone, more distant than the other two, can connect to either band with no problems.

I've tried powering off and on my laptop, printer, and router.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Not all devices support both bands. If you are unsure, check the User Manual.

Aside from that, a device will see both bands as the same network. They aren't two different networks (ie: only one network SSID will be shown), they are just using a different frequency range.

Assuming a device supports both, the device configuration will dictate which band is used. By default, most devices will generally try to use 5ghz before 2.4 and the decision to use 2.4 could be signal related.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

The 2.4 GHz band seems to have worse range and be unpredictable. However, sometimes even if my laptop and printer are both connected to the same band on the same network, they still can't communicate. They seemingly definitely can't communicate if they're on different bands. Are you saying that they should be able to communicate even if one's on 5 GHz and the other is on 2.4 GHz?

Is there a way to fix this or do more things to pinpoint what's wrong? They often can't communicate despite being almost right next to each other, my computer browsing the internet just fine with videos loading quickly, and the printer showing an excellent connection to the network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Yes. Regardless of the band being used, it is ONE network. All of the devices connected by 5ghz, and 2.4ghz are all on the same network and should be able to communicate with each other.

As to the 2.4ghz issues, that band is more prone to interference. Could be your router and all of your neighbors are on the same channel (most people use the default and all routers default to the same channel), structural, or other devices.

For reference: https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/wha...hould-you-use/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Check the router and see if all of the devices are actually connected and have a valid IP. You should be able to ping all of the devices from your PC.

You could also power cycle the router and all devices to see if that makes any difference.

Based strictly on the fact that it was apparently working fine at the old location and doesn't in the new location, it sounds like an interference issue. And while it's always possible or convenient, use ethernet whenever possible to connect devices to the network.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Is NirSoft WifiInfoView still supported and safe? My antivirus blocked the download, but I'll override it if it's safe.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I've not used it, but that isn't the software recommended in the sticky at the top of the page: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-573737.html

Old 09-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

I downloaded Xirrus. Does it have a feature that shows the best channels to use? I haven't found anything so far.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Not that I'm aware. I believe that it simply shows the signals being received and which channel they are using.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Pretty easy to figure out which channels are the best from look at the xirrus results.

You going to post them?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

I ran the test around four times. The ping test came back fine twice and showed ping loss twice. I'm uploading stuff at the same time, so I don't know if that would affect it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	312697  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

No channel contention so that is good.

post the results of a tracert google.com for review. Seems to be a break between your router and the internet
Old 09-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
Registered Member

How do I do that?
Old 09-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member

I just did a speed test on Google and got these results. My wifi connection drops regularly, and I sometimes get connection errors while playing on an ethernet-connected PS4, although I don't know if that's from my internet or the game's servers. I (supposedly) have 100 mbps internet, and it's previously tested with download speeds in the 70s; after a second test, it's now at 77.6 download and 4.53 upload.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

9 is a long way from 100

you don't lose ping packets until you hit the internet.

to do a tracert [you can always google this] you go to a command prompt and type tracert yahoo.com

The you either do a screen shot into Word or other postable format or copy the text to a post here.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
Moderator - Hardware

My System

At least for testing purposes, use or connect a PC to the router via ethernet. That will eliminate wifi as a cause of slowness. Ethernet will typically be faster than wifi, and it will always be more stable and have less latency.

If you have a separate modem and router, you can connect directly to the modem and totally eliminate the router as a cause of the slowness.

Closed Thread