Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

DSL modem recommendation

This is a discussion on DSL modem recommendation within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! My DSL stopped working this morning. It sometimes goes up for a couple minutes after I reboot the modem,

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

My DSL stopped working this morning. It sometimes goes up for a couple minutes after I reboot the modem, but then goes out. Centurylink says there are no outages in my area, and that they think it's a hardware failure on my end. They have told me this before when the problem was on their end, but this time they're probably right.

I have an old TP-Link modem/router set to bridge mode, with a TP-Link Archer C7 router. I removed the router from my network to test the old modem/router, and I'm still having connecting issues.

Would someone please make a recommendation for a good DSL modem? It does not need to be a router combo. I'm hoping to make a purchase on Amazon tonight so I can be back up and running soon. (I live in a really small town with no computer stores.)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nnorswebguidec

This is just the modem but the above is a much better unit:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nnorswebguidec

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

I would actually prefer a non Centurylink or Qwest branded modem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nnorswebguidec
Old 04-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

When CenturyLink finally upgraded their system in my area and offered DSL I quickly subscribed for the faster connection......after many years of dial up. They made the changes on their end and sent me a modem......no charge. Over the years they have sent new modems a number of times......the last one was PK5001Z. The price was still the same.......$0.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
When CenturyLink finally upgraded their system in my area and offered DSL I quickly subscribed for the faster connection......after many years of dial up. They made the changes on their end and sent me a modem......no charge. Over the years they have sent new modems a number of times......the last one was PK5001Z. The price was still the same.......$0.
That's interesting because every time I've communicated with them, they offer to rent or sell me one. I once had a ZyXEL modem, but I can't remember which one.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
Administrator
TSF Manager

Hmmm......maybe something recent?? Or it could be the utilities commission in your area?? I've never had to buy/lease a modem since '06 when we first had DSL in my area. The first one was supplied by CL and all others afterward. The last time I called support they must have gotten confused and sent two PK5001Z units that arrived within a few days of each other. They even shipped them 'next day air'.

I just checked my bill and don't see any equipment fees......but my 10Mb service is $60 a month. Then you add all the local taxes/fees......
Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Hmmm......maybe something recent?? Or it could be the utilities commission in your area?? I've never had to buy/lease a modem since '06 when we first had DSL in my area. The first one was supplied by CL and all others afterward. The last time I called support they must have gotten confused and sent two PK5001Z units that arrived within a few days of each other. They even shipped them 'next day air'.

I just checked my bill and don't see any equipment fees......but my 10Mb service is $60 a month. Then you add all the local taxes/fees......
Thanks for checking. I will ask them specifically the next time I call them.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Administrator
TSF Manager

They replaced the modem(s) less than a year ago.....and I don't think I really needed a new one. After all the testing/resetting and trying to understand the outsourced support dept (it was well after hours when my connection dropped) the service came back up the next morning. They went for a spell where lost connections could almost be predicted.

There are very few options in my area. Cable wants $2900 to install a new line to my house when I already have the RG6 installed.......satellite is too expensive for family needs.