Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

DSL Frequent Disconnects all of a sudden

This is a discussion on DSL Frequent Disconnects all of a sudden within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Computers are connected via Ethernet to the router. Router Model: TP-Link VR400 Internet type: DSL Just one thing, I do

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 03:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Computers are connected via Ethernet to the router.
Router Model: TP-Link VR400
Internet type: DSL

Just one thing, I do not have a handheld phone at home, it's just the router connected to the phone socket, nothing else.

Issue: So up until yesterday, my internet connection has been great, stable and fast enough to enjoy gaming online with no issues. Speedtests give me a download speed of around 15 mb/s, (which for Lebanon is awesome) and a ping to Europe of about 60ms.

Last night I got home, and discovered that my internet kept dropping every 30-60 seconds, reconnecting, dropping and so on. After about 2 hours of troubleshooting, and disregarding the ISP as the source of the problem, I discovered something in the router settings that helped....kind of...

In the advanced section of the DSL Settings, there was DSL Modulation Type, where you get to choose from a list of options, the default (and previously working) was Auto-Sync up, which I assumed chose ADSL2+ mode which gives you up to 24 mb/s download speed.

I changed this to ADSL2 and voila, the internet was stable as can be, no drops, no disconnects. I ran a speedtest and was disappointed to see that it was returning a maximum of 8mb/s instead of my usual 15 mb/s. I spoke to a friend and he said that there are noise bursts on your phone line causing this. When I switched to lower-grade type of modulation, it compensated for the noise on my line and made it more stable. If I switched back to ADSL2+, the signal wont compensate for the noise and will drop the line frequently.

Now that you know the issue, can anyone help me figure out how to solve this? How come all of a sudden there is noise on my line? How can I fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Is there noise on the line coming in? If so, it is a phone company problem. The only way to prove it though is to test it at the DEMARC. (The telephone connection box where the telephone line comes into your establishment). If you essentially unplug the house and test just the line coming from the phone company and it has noise, it is "their problem". If you unplug the house and do not have the noise, then it is in your house wiring or equipment. The next logical step would be to unplug any and all phone equipment, and test again with only one phone. If you still have noise in the house, unplug the DSL Modem. If it clears up, your DSL Modem is defective. BTW, be sure to retest with another phone to make sure the phone itself isn't introducing noise.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Is there noise on the line coming in? If so, it is a phone company problem. The only way to prove it though is to test it at the DEMARC. (The telephone connection box where the telephone line comes into your establishment). If you essentially unplug the house and test just the line coming from the phone company and it has noise, it is "their problem". If you unplug the house and do not have the noise, then it is in your house wiring or equipment. The next logical step would be to unplug any and all phone equipment, and test again with only one phone. If you still have noise in the house, unplug the DSL Modem. If it clears up, your DSL Modem is defective. BTW, be sure to retest with another phone to make sure the phone itself isn't introducing noise.
Thanks. I don't have an actual phone in my house to test for noise. But today I did notice that when the connection drops, my SNR margin drops from 12 to -8.1!

Nothing has changed in my house. I'm assuming it's either from the ISP or someone messed with the phone box downstairs. I'll check it from downstairs and find out if it's my house or the box. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thought Id update you in case anyone is still following this topic.

I managed to find a UPS battery and disconnect my entire home and just plug in the router to it, the drops kept happening. So I don't think electrical interference is the issue, at least in my house.

So now, I don't know what to do. I guess an engineer can come back and look at the condition of my line.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Years ago, when we lived in south Florida and had DSL, the phone company installed a new telephone line from the pole to the phone box on the back of the house. Doing so did solve the "noise" problem on the line. Sometimes, if there was a whole flock of birds on the line you could hear some slight interference. Other than that though, the "silence is golden".
Closed Thread