Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

DNS error after swapping cables - Dorm VPN

This is a discussion on DNS error after swapping cables - Dorm VPN within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, I live in a college dormitory, which provides me with VPN internet. There is a socket attached to the

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

So, I live in a college dormitory, which provides me with VPN internet. There is a socket attached to the wall, where I can connect an Ethernet cable and then plug it into my laptop. Then I have to login everytime I boot up my computer, in order to access the internet.

I recently decided to set up a wireless network so I bought one of the recommended routers (TP-Link C20i) and followed the set up instructions on the dorm webpage. I had to connect the router to the socket with the cable I already had and then needed another one to connect the router to the laptop, in order to set everything up. The setup process was as follows: I visited the configuration website, disabled PPTP passthrough under "Security", then I changed the WAN connection type to PPTP, typed my username and password and checked "Connect on Demand" under WAN connection mode. Then I had to change the IP address in LAN settings and set up the Wifi networks. After completing this process I tested it by visiting some websites and connecting my phone to the network. Everything was functioning correctly.

Then I noticed that the new cable, with which I had connected the router to the laptop was very short and didn't allow me to move my router to another desk. So I decided to swap the two cables around. I switched off my computer and router, swapped the cables, booted up everything again and tried to connect to the same network as before. That's when I got a DNS error while trying to visit a website. The settings on the configuration website appeared to be unchanged. After waiting a little, I rebooted the router, reconnected all the cables and tried again, but nothing changed. I concluded that something had to have happened, while changing the cables so I returned everything to the original setup and tried again. Still I was getting a DNS error. I visited some forums and tried some stuff out in order to resolve this issue, such as typing some ipconfig commands in cmd or playing around with the settings of the router. At a certain point for a short period of time the DNS error disappeared and I could connect to facebook, however no pictures were loading and the connection appeared to be very slow. Shortly after when I refreshed the page I got the DNS message again.

I even factory reset the router and set up the whole network from scratch again and I was still getting the same problem. Due to the unique nature of my dorm network I wasn't able to find any help online so that's why I'm posting this. So now I've disconnected the router and I'm back to my old setup, where I connect the cable directly to my laptop. My theory is that something has to have happened to the router or the newer cable, when I swapped them around. However I didn't apply any excessive force, while reconnecting everything so this is strange.

Since I'm not very well acquainted with the process of setting up networks I couldn't look any further into this issue by myself so I would appreciate some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I would suggest settting up the router again but add the additional step of cloning the laptops mac address to the routers wan port. You will find how to do this in the routers manual or poking around the wan setup page in the router.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes! Thanks! It seems to be working now. However I'm still curious as to how swapping cables was able to influence something like this. Or is it completely irrelevant and the problem coincidentally happened to manifest itself after doing so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Just a coincidence would be my guess
Closed Thread