Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Decent Coax router?

This is a discussion on Decent Coax router? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am currently based in Nairobi for 2 years with work and have recently had ZUKU Fiber installed. The

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I am currently based in Nairobi for 2 years with work and have recently had ZUKU Fiber installed. The fiber is only to the junction box outside the apartment i live in, there is a router i currently use that has a coax connection on the back as that is the only internet feed into the place.

My internet is currently not what i think it should be - i pay for 50mbps. The router that was supplied with the installation feels very flimsy and is always red hot! Additional to this the wifi coverage for it is very poor.

I have looked on Amazon but am really struggling in finding a good router that accepts a Coax connection?

Any ideas?

Thank you very much,

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86

My System

You need to look for a cable modem/router that is compatible with your IPs system.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Any router that works with cable supports the coax wan connection.

Plenty to choose from
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...e+modem+router

PS. it is not a matter of hardware working with the ISP. The isp doesn't matter only the physical delivery of the internet [cable/coax, dsl, fiber, Ethernet...l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the replies.

So the majority of these modems will work with the coax connection.

That is good news as when i get back to the barracks in the UK they mainly have coax in the families accommodation - two birds with one stone and all of that ;)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

The problem i was on www.amazon.co.uk, their supply of coax enabled modems are non existent! Amazon.com however has a shed load!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Do they have cable internet in the UK?

And yes, the ISP does matter (at least here in the USA). Most ISP's have a supported hardware list.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hello,

Yes Virgin almost completely run a cable service.

This is a Nairobi based firm we are talking about! I very much doubt they have a supported hardware list, i will check mind.

Thank you for the reply

Jamie
Old 09-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You are correct in that you won't find a supported hardware list.

It appears that Virgin only allows you to use the modem which they supply you. You can't buy your own modem. You can however, use your own router.

Closed Thread