Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Cox denying my 3.0 modem? That WILL work!

This is a discussion on Cox denying my 3.0 modem? That WILL work! within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just moved apartments in the same complex and my internet will not work. So I call Cox tech support

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just moved apartments in the same complex and my internet will not work. So I call Cox tech support and they say my modem is not compatible with my internet plan.

I have the same exact internet plan as I had before and the same exact modem I had before. A Motorola docsis 3.0, model #SB6120 which is advertised as up to 150 mbps. My cox speed is 100 mbps. Everything functions fine.

The only thing that changed is the apartment number.

Is cox just forcing arbitrary requirements on us to force us to spend more money?

Is there a way to make it work as it should?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

If I were to stab in the dark, chances are that your old modem has the FTTH option where the fiber runs directly into the docsis modem, but the place where you're at right now, may not provide the Fiber to the end point but rather to the closest junction box/node from there it would be an ethernet cable...

To sum it up, your newer Modem may not be compatible with an older technology...

Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

As above + the ISP contract usually mentions a list of compatible equipment so they can always say it isn't on the list, even though they can't possibly test every item that's out there.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The support list is here: https://www.cox.com/residential/supp...le-modems.html

I'd call and speak to another tech.

Closed Thread