Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Consistent Internet Connectivity Issues

This is a discussion on Consistent Internet Connectivity Issues within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi folks, Jake here. New to the forum. I've seen other similar issues posted but no resolutions were made that

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi folks, Jake here. New to the forum. I've seen other similar issues posted but no resolutions were made that I could see. Maybe my situation is different.

I have Broadstar Internet at my apartment complex. They are contracted with the complex, so there's no option of switching ISP's. I've had constant connectivity issues for several months now, and the ISP isn't helping out much. I'm running an ethernet cable from the living room to the bedroom where my tower is. Randomly throughout the day, I'll see a little yellow triangle pop up on the network symbol on the taskbar, and suddenly all pages show the first picture attached (I nabbed that pic from Google because I wasn't having issues at the time of writing this). Not only that, but my cell phone using the wifi also has the same issue, and my (ethernet connected) Xbox One won't open certain apps like Amazon Video, Hulu, or Netflix. Between complete outages, news websites would load with only text and no pictures, and streaming sites like YouTube would randomly show errors in the middle of videos. After researching, I tried all the DNS resolutions I could find on the net but none of them worked. I restarted/reset the routed several times, didn't work. I swapped all chords leading to and from the router, didn't work. I spoke with my ISP and they said they weren't able to communicate with my router, so they sent a tech who replaced it. All was fine for a week until it started happening again for longer periods of time. My ISP sent the tech again and he said the issue wasn't my router, but because "Broadstar doesn't have much bandwidth in this area. If one of your neighbors gets online while you're online, it'll slow you down or boot you off temporarily." I've never heard of that before.

I'm fairly new to all this, but I've ran numerous speed tests spanning several days and my average is seen in attachment 2. Am I wrong in thinking that bottle-necked bandwidth in my area wouldn't allow me to get those test speeds? What steps should I take next?

I'm using an Arris DG860 router provided by Broadstar, by the way.
Let me know if there's any other info needed. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3s06Y.png
Views:	53
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	287089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	287097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	287105  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	287113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture5.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	287121  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDude15 View Post
My ISP sent the tech again and he said the issue wasn't my router, but because "Broadstar doesn't have much bandwidth in this area. If one of your neighbors gets online while you're online, it'll slow you down or boot you off temporarily." I've never heard of that before.
I've heard of that with cable because of their shared node architecture. Not sure if that's your issue or not.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking

there is a contention ratio
What is Contention Ratio? Business Broadband | LG Networks

however, you are paying for the service - either directly are via the rental/service charges and so you would expect to get a service , see what the contract agreement says you should have
most companies say upto x speed
BUT these days some companies do offer a minimum, at least in UK

for example BT may say something like upto 17mbps
but on a line test - say to you , you should expect around 12Mbps and the minimum might be 5Mbps

you can also find those figures for you line on the website
perhaps Broadstar cna provide the same

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hmm. So there's some truth to what the tech said then? I still don't understand how my speed tests can show my connection being so good, and then right afterward when I try to connect to a site, it gives me a page error or doesn't load completely. Broadstar doesn't seems to want to help much in the matter, and I can't switch providers due to their contract with my complex. Am I just stuck with crappy service then?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

what are other people in the complex getting ?

Old 07-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Not sure. They aren't the type to talk with their neighbors. But the leasing office admitted that the internet wasn't very good.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
But the leasing office admitted that the internet wasn't very good.
that maybe worth following up
depending on the terms of your contract you may be able to make a call

Old 07-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDude15 View Post
Hmm. So there's some truth to what the tech said then? I still don't understand how my speed tests can show my connection being so good, and then right afterward when I try to connect to a site, it gives me a page error or doesn't load completely.

It used to be explained in the terms of a pipe or a hose. If you launch a BB through a 1" diameter hose (speed test, email, text string, etc.) it will travel quite fast. If you try to shove a golf ball (large web page, standard video, etc.) though that same 1" hose, it will travel much slower and encounter more resistance, so you will have more trouble.

In many cable systems, that same 1" pipe/hose is shared by everyone connected to it (think of the plumbing waste drain system in your building). If you are the only one putting golf balls in the pipe/hose, you won't have nearly as much trouble as if several other tenants are also putting golf balls in at the same time.

Now, if you and a few others try to watch higher grade videos or visit graphics intensive websites (softballs or larger) at the same time ..... well, you get the picture.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:05 AM   #9
Moderator - Networking

Hi mate.

The T3 errors in your log (no ranging response) are what's causing the problem. I don't believe that high contention would cause these syncing errors, regardless of what your ISP says.

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Old 07-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchConner View Post
Hi mate.

The T3 errors in your log (no ranging response) are what's causing the problem. I don't believe that high contention would cause these syncing errors, regardless of what your ISP says.
Ok, what are T3 errors, and where do they originate? Is that something caused by the router or the ISP?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
Moderator - Networking

Hi mate,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Those errors are (usually) a result of either a problem with your router, cabling, or upstream congestion at the provider cmts.

When the ISP replaced your router and things got better, I would ask them to replace the router again to start. We can rule out cabling as you've already swapped it out.

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
Closed Thread