Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Connected to internet but unable to load any pages

This is a discussion on Connected to internet but unable to load any pages within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, THIS laptop I am currently using is of course able to connect and surf the internet. However my main

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

THIS laptop I am currently using is of course able to connect and surf the internet. However my main PC, which is a Windows XP (SP3) 'gaming rig' is connected (same speed as this one...about 56 mbps) but all pages give the 'Unable to load...' error and tells me I should check my internet connections.

This all started after my roommate tried to install a brand new router (Linksys WRT 1200 AC Dual Band Gigabit) with which we all were unable to connect to the internet at all. So I unplugged the new router and re-plugged in the old Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 ghz router. Now I am able to connect only with this laptop and no one else seems able to connect at all without great difficulty.

This laptop is running Windows 8 (updated) for what that is worth.

My XP rig though has the aforementioned problems and running the troubleshooters and 'Repair connection' things do nothing.

I apologize if I have failed to post some necessary details and I thank you in advance for any help.

Forgot to say that my browser is the latest Firefox (51.01).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7 ( This is for Windows 7 but the steps are virtually the same for 8 and 10

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

Old 01-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

I cannot do most of what you request because my Windows XP PC cannot connect and does not have a working floppy or CD/DVD (even the few USB slots left have great problems with any device plugged into them).

I was hoping this might be a known or common issue someone could tell me some possible solutions but I think I am just in a difficult situation that makes helping me very difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeleTony View Post
Hello,

THIS laptop I am currently using is of course able to connect and surf the internet. However my main PC, which is a Windows XP (SP3) 'gaming rig' is connected (same speed as this one...about 56 mbps) but all pages give the 'Unable to load...' error and tells me I should check my internet connections.

This all started after my roommate tried to install a brand new router (Linksys WRT 1200 AC Dual Band Gigabit) with which we all were unable to connect to the internet at all. So I unplugged the new router and re-plugged in the old Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 ghz router. Now I am able to connect only with this laptop and no one else seems able to connect at all without great difficulty.

This laptop is running Windows 8 (updated) for what that is worth.

My XP rig though has the aforementioned problems and running the troubleshooters and 'Repair connection' things do nothing.

I apologize if I have failed to post some necessary details and I thank you in advance for any help.

Forgot to say that my browser is the latest Firefox (51.01).
This part got deleted from the OP when I tried to block some video-spam elements.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Without any real information we can only guess . . and my guess is that with the other issues, it is either infected or the system is faiing

Old 02-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

New to the forum, so first; Hello! :-)

Two things I would suggest is to check what your DNS is set to and to disable IPv6. To check DNS, try downloading MiniToolBox and check off only the options related to networking/internet (IP configuration, host files, etc), then run it and post the logs. See here for download link.

To disable IPv6, see here for instructions. It's a ISP support site, but the instructions should all be the same.
Closed Thread