Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Computer suddenly cannot connect to usual Wi-Fi connection

This is a discussion on Computer suddenly cannot connect to usual Wi-Fi connection within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone. I should preface this with some context and info: The other day I attempted to bridge connections between

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone.
I should preface this with some context and info:
The other day I attempted to bridge connections between my computer and Xbox 360. However, I could not get the console to connect online, so I took a look at my router settings page to try and find a solution. I also looked into my Xbox's network options and found its MAC Authentication ID, so I added it to the whitelist for MAC Authentication on my router.

Here's the problem though, immediately after I added it to the whitelist and the router began to save my changes, my connection to the Wi-Fi stopped. Not only that, but when I attempted to connect to the internet on one of my other game consoles, it also failed to connect as well.

Here's the biggest problem I'm facing: nothing in my room can connect to the internet anymore, but every other computer in my house can. And my own computer can still connect via wired connection. Whenever I try to connect with my computer, it just says "Can't connect to this network."

My computer has no viruses, and I performed a virus scan last night to make sure.

I have since removed the Xbox's MAC ID from my router settings, but nothing has changed. I'm at a loss for what methods I can use, and I would very much appreciate if anyone has any possible solutions to my problem. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Restore the router to default, save the settings, reboot, and reconfigure your wifi and whatever other settings you had for normal usage.

I could be wrong, but typical router uses for adding a MAC address are for security (ie: it enables MAC verification and only allows devices in the list to access the network). So if you add one, you need to add them all. Aside for security, this should not be needed to get the XBox connected to the network.

And from what I've read, for best results, you will want the XBox One connected via ethernet.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

I agree with JimE. Reset your router to it's default settings and see if that helps connect your computer devices to the internet. May I ask, what is the brand/model of your router?

You probably enabled "MAC Filtering". If so, try disabling it and see if that helps. Overall, I would recommend performing a router reset.

Hope everything works out well.

Closed Thread