Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

coffee shop wifi

This is a discussion on coffee shop wifi within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. . A few of us retired guys like to go to various coffee shops and blab and use the free

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimE
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

A few of us retired guys like to go to various coffee shops and blab and use the free wifi with our smart phones.

Lately, a couple shops have gotten new routers and, even though the name and PW stayed the same, the new routers send a "Can't provide an IP address." message even though other customers are currently using the wifi.

The staff has learned to unplug the router and plug it back in and then everybody gets connected.

Other shops have the same brand of router (D-Link) and there is no problem.

Any thoughts?

wake

~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 05:00 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

What comes to mind is a very limited DHCP pool that gets exhausted pretty quickly. The forced reboot (unplugging/replugging) releases all assigned addresses and clients get new assignments as a result.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

"Suspicious" "customers" downloading Torrents.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

As noted by StanceStans, increasing the DHCP pool size would likely resolve the issue.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the ideas. I will try and run them down.

One of our group thinks that maybe during slow times (like all night when the shop is closed) the ISP drops the router because of inactivity. Then when we arrive it has to log in again. Possible?

wake (himself)

~
Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

No. Regardless of connectivity to the ISP, you should always be able to connect to the router. You don't need external (ie: internet) connectivity to create a network using the router. The WAN connection (ie: connectivity to the ISP) simply provides the network access out (to the internet).
feenalauren likes this.

Closed Thread