Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Cable modem testing

This is a discussion on Cable modem testing within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If I were to plug in 10 modems to say Comcast cox line and all 10 lights turn solid ,

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

If I were to plug in 10 modems to say Comcast cox line and all 10 lights turn solid , but when I check on pc via Ethernet 4 of the 10 modems show limited connectivity and the Comcast activation page come and go's.

Does this mean those 4 modems are bad ?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 02:49 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

A little more detail would be helpful, your just testing modems? Are they just Modems, or Modem / Router combos? How old are they? Make and Models.

When you change modems they need to be provisioned with Comcast, you need to link the modems MAC address to your internet service account.

What are the SnR (Signal to Noise Ratios), Upstream Power, Downstream power of the modems?

Her's a link to good power levels for a DOCSIS 3 modem.
https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-...idered-good-78

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Just trying to do a simple test and understand why some have limited connectivity and some do not
Are they not provisioned when plug into the cox cable ? All of them there firmware changed or aleast something updated on 192.168.100.1

Sb6183

Do you know why I get the limited connectivity on 4 units but not the others? Possiblly bad unit or other reason ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Have you compared modem configurations between the working and nonworking? as in how many channels are being used and if you look at the logs what responses the modems are seeing from Comcast
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mulitple routers off 1 cable modem?
hi, we are getting our house hardwired for internet. Comcast business level service / modem . Plan is run multiple cat6 cables to the room (on 2nd floor) where the modem is kept, cable then to be run to jacks in the various other rooms on 1st and 2nd floor. 2 of the household members are...
newbee_4 Networking Support 4 02-02-2015 06:15 PM
New to cable modem and am confused
We bought a home previously owned by a Cisco certified engineer. He had ATT U-Verse as his ISP. His connection came in through his office upstairs. He used an ethernet cable in the wall to get the signal into the office closet where there is, for want of correct terminology, a jumper board, or...
Odyssey Networking Support 1 02-02-2015 08:40 AM
access internet using a cable modem and wireless by 2wire Gateway
Hi helpful experts, Please help me with this problem.. I have just switch from a DSL internet to cable internet. The cable modem (Motorola SBV5121i) can connect to internet and is working fine, its has only 1 LAN port that connect to my laptop. I would like to set up the previous 2wire Gateway...
mike193 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 2 11-05-2013 07:04 AM
Windows 7 hangs just after startup each time
Just after startup, I can see the desktop, all icons, the system tray, etc., but if I click anything, it immediately hangs. I am eventually given an error from the bottom left corner of the screen stating that "Microsoft Windows" is not responding. I can wait and the application may respond or I...
slhaas BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 3 08-03-2011 04:49 AM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in today’s modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM