Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Cable Modem Keeps going offline - T3 Error

This is a discussion on Cable Modem Keeps going offline - T3 Error within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue before. I'm running: Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue before.

I'm running:
Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Netgear CM400 Modem, connected to a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router(Yes, I know the router is old.)
I have Comcast Cable Internet.

I was just wondering if anyone knows more about what may be causing this issue. I.E. Comcast cable connection, the modem (It's done this with two different modems now, different brands, can't remember what the previous modem was) or the router (i have updated the firmware.)

The dropping to offline issues seems to get worse when I am streaming on my wireless Samsung DVD player or when im streaming on the roku/amazon firestick. If I stream on my i-pad I haven't had this happen as much, though I've found no time it is worse or better, and today it's been happening repeatably, streaming or not .

The only fix after it goes offline is to reset the modem either from comcast.com via my phone, or unplugging or resetting the modem.

Thanks for reading and for any info.

Modem Event Log:

Time Priority Description
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jan 2 15:43:57 2017 Warning (5) MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1
Jan 2 15:50:14 2017 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jan 2 15:54:00 2017 Warning (5) MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1
Jan 2 16:01:59 2017 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jan 2 16:02:42 2017 Critical (3) Ranging Request Retries exhausted
Jan 2 16:02:42 2017 Critical (3) Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted
Jan 2 16:02:43 2017 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Jan 2 16:07:06 2017 Warning (5) MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

It seems the modem stops talking to Comcast, or visa-versa. I would contact Comcast, tell them of the critical error, have them test the lines. If it is a Comcast supplied modem request a replacement.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:52 AM   #3
Moderator - Networking

Hi mate,

Are you able to post the power levels on your router?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey, I have tech support included in my service, so Comcast came out this morning, and the line that was going to the house was so old it ended up crumbling when he went to roll it up. Hopefully this was the issue. However, I've read multipul posts that others have been dealing with this for years without resolution. I'll be streaming all day and well let you know what happenes.

Here are the stats for the router logs:

WIRELESS STATISTICS

Sent :5183126
TX Packets Dropped :5572
Received :2220103
RX Packets Dropped :0
Errors :1445

Router Speed is 300mbs

I know my router is in need of an upgrade, could that be causing extra strain on the modem?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

No. Any connection issues of this type are modem or ISP related. Router issues would only affect LAN connectivity or throughput, not the WAN connectivity.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, I have been streaming as heavily as possible. And have not had any issues since Comcast came out and replaced the cable line. It appears this was the issue has no more errors have been logged in my modem. Thank you all for your ideas and help, it's good to know that my router isn't the issue, though it is old and on my list to replace.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry for posting on a old thread, but I wanted to give my alternative opinion.

-1 for getting a new modem. T3 are rarely caused by hardware problems and the few times it is, it is usually actually the power supply for the modem going bad and not the actual modem. On that point, make sure to check the modem's power adapter is plugged directly into a electrical outlet and not a surge protector.

Past that, the most common thing to cause T3 errors are bad upstream levels. If replacing the line helps, it may have been a cut in the coaxial or some other issue that allowed interference into the line. If you have the problem again, or if you want to double check, post your modem's signal levels. They are available on the modem's 192.168.100.1 webpage, user; admin password; password, unless you changed it. See here for specific instructions from Netgear.
Closed Thread