Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Belkin 49c wireless connection

This is a discussion on Belkin 49c wireless connection within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I have been working on configuring a wireless router for a neighbor. Her system is quite a mess

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Ubuntu 14.04, Lubuntu 16.04, Mint 17.3 and CentOS 6.6

Hello all,
I have been working on configuring a wireless router for a neighbor.
Her system is quite a mess consisting of:

An old Aris cable modem used solely for her digital land-line phone
A Motorola Surfboard SB6121 modem (used for Internet connection)
A line splitter used to send the service provider signal to both modems
A Belkin 49c wireless router

I have connected the Belkin router to the output of the Motorola Surfboard and have two wired computers running from the router (one running Windows Vista and the other running Windows10).
She also has a Lenova netbook (running Windows10). The Lenova can see the wireless network (Belkin.49c). However, it can't connect to it. It won't even bring up the window allowing the entry of the wireless password. Interestingly, it allows for access to other wireless networks in the area. The Lenova actually connects to both of my wireless networks without any difficulty.I was wondering if the fact that the Belkin wireless router called itself “Belkin.49c” is a problem because of the period (.) in the router name. Interestingly, it was not a problem for my Linux laptop to connect to this router.
Anyone have any ideas ?
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

That does not appear to be a correct setup.

Normally you have a DSL filter that splits the line to (1) a phone not a modem, (2) the internet port on the filter goes to the internet modem

I am not aware of any issues with using a period / special characters in the SSID.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, GentleArrow.
I spoke with my neighbors ISP service representative yesterday and found that when she signed up for her service, her provider did not provide telephone service.
They sub-contracted that through another provider. Thus, she has the Aris cable modem box for her digital phone line. Crazy arrangement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I take it the wired computers work fine?

Model of the belkin?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes! Both wired computers are working fine.
In her original configuration from her ISP, they had installed the Motorola Surfbord unit and had taken a direct coax feed from the ISP to the unit. There is only one ethernet output on this unit which they took directly to her Windows Vista machine. When she wished to use the other desktop, she would take the RJ-45/ethernet plug from the Vista computer and plug it into the Windows10 desktop.

Her ISP suggested I take the Ethernet output of the Motorala Surfboard and connect it to one of her wireless routers. This seems logical. However, I noticed that a blinking light on the Motorola Surfboard is blue (indicating high-speed connection established). When I switch the plug to the wireless router, the Surfboard modem changes to an amber light (indicating that there is an Internet connection, but not high-speed).

I tested her netbook on my wireless routers --- no problem!
I am planning to test my wireless router with her on her configuration. I believe it will result in a similar outcome. It seems the Surfboard modem does not operate well as a pass-through device.

Thanks for your input, GentleArrow.
By the way, all I know of her router is that it appears on the available wireless devices as Belkin.49c. I will get more detail on her router today.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Actually the blue light is telling you the lan/wan connection between the two. Blue is gig and amber is 100mb.

You just have to set the wan port from auto to gig in the router, least that's what I did with mine. I did the same in the modem whose address is 192.168.100.1

Really doesn't matter since the internet connection assumedly is not above 100mb.
Closed Thread