Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Anyone tried wifi extender for Xfinity hotspot?

This is a discussion on Anyone tried wifi extender for Xfinity hotspot? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Found one old post from 2015, but nothing more recent. My employer doesn't have wifi. The business next to my

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gh1138
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Found one old post from 2015, but nothing more recent.

My employer doesn't have wifi. The business next to my work location broadcasts a public Xfinity wifi network. You have to login with your own Xfinity UN and PW, and data usage applies to your own account.

My phone gets a good Xfinity wifi signal from one side of my building, but not the side I work on. I was wondering if I could set up a wifi extender where the signal is stronger to reach my office. I'm guessing the need to log in on the Xfinity network will be a problem for the repeater.

I don't need a ton of bandwidth, just enough to stream some music.

Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'm not sure how Xfinity works, so am going to let someone comment on this..

Theoretically, if you have an extender and use it to connect to the network, it should work, as long as the password is forced in the extender...

Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Most cell phone companies don't charge for wi-fi data usage.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Right. Just to be clear, I want to use my Xfinity account to access the wifi hotspot rather than use my mobile data, but my phone doesn't see the Xfinity network from my side of the building; thus the need for the extender, but not sure if/how the extender could access the Xfinity network since you have to log in to use it.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I guess it will depend on how well the extender works and if the "owner" doesn't mind if you tap the public wi-fi. If it wasn't public, it would be illegal.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Registered Member

Definitely not illegal. The modem owner probably doesn't know about the second network. Comcast/Xfinity sets up their wireless modems to provide 2 networks by default. One is specific to other Comcast customers and accessed with each customer's UN/PW. The other is for the modem owner/renter/subscriber only. It's not supposed to affect the subscriber's performance, but who knows? Quite a source of contention, actually. My Comcast modem is not wireless, and if it were, I'd turn off the public access in the settings!

If anyone is curious, here's a better explanation:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2363389/to-xfinity-wifi-were-all-hotspots-but-you-dont-have-to-be.html

I'm just trying to figure out if anyone had already tried this before I spend a few bucks on an extender, or maybe if someone know of a particular extender that would allow the UN/PW entry.

Thought I'd try here first, but looks like maybe I should try a Comcast/Xfinity forum.

Thanks for the replies!
feenalauren likes this.
Closed Thread