Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Adding Wi-Fi to a Router

This is a discussion on Adding Wi-Fi to a Router within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am getting internet installed at my apartment but the package I am going for only comes with a router

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I am getting internet installed at my apartment but the package I am going for only comes with a router WITHOUT Wi-Fi.

Is there a simple add-on, or am I better going for a new wi-fi router altogether.

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I can't believe there's such a service package! Oh well, you could just purchase a wireless router and add to the installation. It is the simple add-on.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Stancestans

The signal apparently is delivered via the coax TV cable.

When buying a wireless router/modem, what rear connection type should I describe to shop assistant.

Also, I'm never sure whether to refer to it as a "router" or a "modem".

Which is correct terminology?

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

That "router without wifi" is most likely a cable modem, in which case you'd just need a wireless router with a WAN port which is pretty much standard on wireless routers.

We could do with additional info such as: who is your service provider and what's the make and model of the "router without wifi" and any other equipment that came with the package.

Cable internet usually includes a modem/router combo unit (it's both a router and cable modem, that is, 2-in-1), often supplied by the service provider (leased) or self-sourced (if service provider supports it). Cable tv + internet equipment are provided by the service provider, so if your package is both tv and internet, I'd expect it to include a cable modem/router combo.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Stancestans

I don't have the info you requested, but anyway, I will have to buy my own in order to get wi-fi.

What connection type should I specify?

T
Old 04-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomohawk View Post
Thanks
What connection type should I specify?
T
WAN
Old 04-24-2016, 02:37 AM   #7