Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

Abnormal ping with Cable internet?

This is a discussion on Abnormal ping with Cable internet? within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, around a year ago I switched from ADSL to a cable ISP and from the time I switched

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys, around a year ago I switched from ADSL to a cable ISP and from the time I switched until now my pings shot up to, at least what I would consider, bizarrely high levels. The thing is my connection isn't erratic or do I receive lag spikes or anything of that nature but instead I'm at a constant high ping 100% of the time.

For example, if I were to play a round of counter-strike with friends who live in same city as myself who have a different internet type, either fibreop or adsl, when we find a mutual server to join they would normally have pings of ~35-50 on average while mine level out between ~115-130 and most of the times I usually have the highest ping on the server. Most other games I'm in the same boat regardless of server location.

From my understanding cable internet generally has higher pings than ADSL or Fibreop however I'm unsure if the difference should be to the extent I'm experiencing it.

Here are the results of a speedtest I just ran: Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

I'm definitely not well versed in the nuances of internet providers, but is this kind of ping normal? The host server I used for the speedtest was located in my city and essentially any other server just yields higher pings. Any suggestions on how I could remedy this issue or detect if there are any issues with my modem, hardware etc.. or is this is just normal behavior for cable internet?
Thanks in advance

Relevant information Modem is a HITRON CGN3ACSMR and I'm directly plugged in via ethernet cable. ISP is Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Real quick, when you were using ADSL, was it the same ISP?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Hi there,

Real quick, when you were using ADSL, was it the same ISP?
I was with a different ISP, Bell Aliant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 02:39 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

from a command prompt type tracert www.yahoo.com
post the results, have you tried running speedtest on any different servers?

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Can you give a game you play as a example? My guess is you're seeing a combo of the increase in latency of broadband vs DSL and congestion issues between your old and new ISP. Broadband uses bigger "pipes" but allow more people to go on them at one time, and use traffic shaping to give certain traffic different priority. If you really want to see what your latency is like, try with TCP instead of ICMP. You don't need to know what that means, just that it's a more accurate way of testing for latency. See here for instructions.

If your not interested in that depth, +1 for posting a tracert to yahoo.com to start.
Closed Thread