Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite

User Tag List

A modem question

This is a discussion on A modem question within the Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello dues how are you??? I just got a new cable modem.... An ARRIS modem and the setting is on

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
An Awesome Dude

Hello dues how are you???

I just got a new cable modem.... An ARRIS modem and the setting is on 802.11 B/G/N and my other cable modem that went bad on me (Locked up and didnt come back) was set to B and G and it was slower (SMC router) so i changed it to B mode only and it was faster....... I want to do the same with this arris modem....

I have read that N supports the fastest speeds so if I put it on N only would it work ok?

I have been modifying it a little,disabling things I dont have,etc to make it faster........

It worked on the SMC router,would it work on this also?? (Seems stupid having it on B/G/N when I have B and it seems setting it to 1 setting (N) would be better (Like with the SMC))

Thanx guys.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

What with the model of your ARRIS modem? I believe you don't need to put the modem on "N" transmit frequency because that new ARRIS modem you just received is compatible with devices that supports all three frequencies. Technically, yes, N is the fastest as it transfer data at speeds of 300Mbps.

Here's an article with regards to the info on the frequency speeds = https://turbofuture.com/computers/Th...now-about-WIFI

Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Both, the old and the new, should function on all of their supported bands. Turning a band off won't increase the speed of another band. And the only reason it may make a device "faster", is if the device is negotiating to use the slower band. Shutting off the slower band then forces the device to use a different band. In which case, you should likely troubleshoot to find out what's causing the device to use the slower band. It's usually a matter of interference or signal strength.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
An Awesome Dude

Well I only have a B adapter and YES when I disabled G on the SMC router it was faster... (Put it on B only mode (Instead of B/G))

This one I cant do JUST B but I can do ONLY N but I dont know if it will still recieve my 2400Mhz traffic on N mode....... (I dont wanna try it and be cut off w/o being able to get it back ya know guys? (uugghh))

Thanx guys!!
Old 06-17-2017, 03:35 AM   #5
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If you have a device using B, then you can't turn off B. In other words, if you switch it to "N" only, you will only get the "N" band, "B" will not work. Options to disable bands are for security, not speed.

Assuming your testing on the old hardware was valid, then that was an issue with that particular router. Each band has a supported speed, and any router should be able to support all of the bands (supported by that model) at the same time.

> wifi info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
An Awesome Dude

Well thank you Jim,it seems to be OK for the most part.....

The lady @ TWC said the modem they would give me would be BETTER than the SMC one and I guess it is... (But If i could put it in B mode only it would be nice seeing if it responded even better)

I dont know much about these things...... I can configure certain things in the menu but I dont know much... (My PCX5000 modem was the easiest to manage for me and the SMC wasnt too hard either)

Like how do you set your own DNS servers in this modem?? (I looked but it doesnt say in that menu)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Most ISP provided hardware is limited in what you are allowed to configure. I don't have TWC and I've not used an SMC, so I don't know what you can change.

And just as an FYI, what you are referring to as a "modem", is actually a modem/router combo unit. Modems have nothing that is user configurable. You simply connect it, and power it on. Everything mentioned in this topic is related to the router portion or the hardware.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Why do folks call routers modems? They are very different animals.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #9
An Awesome Dude

Im sorry GentleArrow...... Thank you Jim!!

I read somewhere that N can also run in 2400Mhz ... I disabled 5000Mhz (N band) in my modem because I dont want the added signal bombarding me when I dont even use it..... (Already subjected to enough RF now as it is)
Closed Thread